Eternal Reaction and Reviews

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Texidor
Eternal Reaction and Reviews

Post by Texidor » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Now that Eternal has been released in Japan and we are days from the European and North American Releases ( and I'm sure some of you have heard the album in its entirety), its time to get your thoughts......... :D
SHINE ON!

fuck

Re: Eternal Reaction and Reviews

Post by fuck » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:46 pm

No songs really stuck out for me except for the first one in the more fast power metal style, my eternal dream.
(Ok, maybe there are some fast parts on other songs...I only listened to it once. :oops: )

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:55 pm

My two cents after a day of listening.

My Eternal Dream - 10/10
This song embodies Stratovarius' typical power metal style in 2015. Unmistakably Stratovarius, but not a recycled formula. It's fresh, it's fast, it's uplifting. I like it!

Shine In The Dark - 7/10
We all know this song by now. It's kind of modern and expirimetal in terms of sounds. I like it but it's more of a Cain's Offering song for me.

Rise Above It - 9/10
Another fast song which I really like. The chorus breaks down into a much slower and epic pace. Love the lyrics on this one. Would love to hear it live!

Lost Without a Trace - 7/10
It's kind of the 'The Abyss of Your Eyes' of Eternal. A sad en mid-paced song. It's kind of s welcome change after all the uplifting words of the former songs. Doesn't do anything special for me though. Just a nice song.

Feeding The Fire 9/10
I love this one! It's thematically comparable to Paradise. But a much stronger song. Really like the pace of this one. Great melodies. Definitely setlist material. Bye bye Paradise, welcome Feeding The Fire!

In My Line Of Work - 8/10
Starts out kind of modern again and with a nice, unexpected rhythm. Then quickly changes into the more famliar power metal style we know of the band. I like it. Great vocals by TK. The chorus is perfect for singing along with.

Man In The Mirror - 10/10
This song surprised me! Starts out really dark and eerie with weird synths and vocal effects. Then all of a sudden morphs into some kinds of Episode/Visions kind of verse. Again the chorus is an instant live singalong chant.

Few Are Those - 10(00000000)/10
My favorite. Period. This uplifting, driving, powerful song just gets me everytime. Really gives me Hunting High And Low vibes. (Maybe because the chord progression in the chorus is 95% the same als HHaL's)
Instant classic if you ask me.

Fire In Your Eyes - 6/10
Usually I like Stratovarius' ballads a lot. Not this time. I find it to be quite boring and the lyrics are dull. Nice to hear TK's lower range though.

The Lost Saga - 5/10
I do not think a lot of people are going to agree with me on this one, but I don't like it. Well, musically I do. But those lyrics. Terrible. I really don't want Stratovarius singing about Vikings and war and bloody battles. I loved the fact that this band didn't use this kind of lyrics.
Would've loved this if it had some inspirational, psychological lyrics like Infinity or Destiny.

Overall 82/100. Nice score. Really like the album. Can't wait for the coming tour!

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:13 pm

So far, I like My Eternal Dream and Shine In the Dark the most.
In My Line of Work was a surprise for me, it's starting to grow on me and I really enjoy it.
Lost Saga and Feeding the Fire were my least favorites. Feeding the Fire just never stuck with me and I didn't like the lyrics for Lost Saga.
Rise Above It is a great listen, in my opinion. I enjoy that one quite a bit. Same thing with Lost Without a Trace.
Fire In Your Eyes went over my head a bit, since ballads never really end up being my fav. Still a decent song though.

kameli

Post by kameli » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:08 am

OK, here are my thoughts about the album after listening it all day.

My Eternal Dream - 10/10
Really kick ass strong power metal song with catchy melodies and awesome solos.

Shine In The Dark - 8/10
Necessary pop song for radio. Nice long chorus.

Rise Above It - 10/10
Another hit in the face kind of really strong epic power metal song with world class solos.

Lost Without a Trace - 6/10
Artist Porras slower pace song, not really my cup of tea.

Feeding The Fire 10/10
Nice old school catchy power metal song.

In My Line Of Work - 9/10
Another nice catchy power metal song.

Man In The Mirror - 3/10
Really weird song. I have not been able to get in this song. Chorus is one of those "repeat one fucking phrase 1000 times". Meh...

Few Are Those - 6/10
Middle tempo song, nothing special.

Fire In Your Eyes - 2/10
Completely unnecessary song, why metal bands feel need to have at least one ballad in every single album. There have been zero good ballads in post Tolkki era.

The Lost Saga - 10/10
WOW, just WOW!!!! This must be the best Stratovarius song ever! Really nice heavy guitar riffs, progressive structure, just unbelievably epic masterpiece! And what comes to lyrics, I really love them. Why Stratovarius shouldn't sing about vikings and war? I prefer them over gay dragons and other cheesy stuff Strato is known for.

I really loved the album, especially Matias' songs. He clearly makes the best songs, please let him compose whole next album, please!

Febo

Post by Febo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:38 am

Here are my thoughts:

My Eternal Dream 10/10

I believe it is utterly impossible to be a Strato fan and not falling in love with this one. The verses are great, the chorus is bombastic and the solos are mind blowing. Nothing to dislike, not to mention that Kotipelto is on fire.

Shine in the Dark 8/10

Jani Liimatainen written all over indeed. Great choice for a single though, it's radio friendly and I hope that with the inclusion of this tune, Eagleheart stays away from the setlists for a long, looong time.

Rise Above It 9/10
This song brings me back to Visions. It's catchy without being cheesy and the intrumental part is pure gold, with Matias' delightful progressive influences. A must play live.

Lost Without a Trace 9/10
Sorry, can't help but to love these kind of Strato tunes. If the band won't keep the Abyss of Your Eyes in the setlist for the coming tour, I would love them to play this one. Awesome vocal melodies and huge chorus.

Feeding the Fire 9/10
I second Rik. This should indeed replace Paradise for the future shows. The sorta "let's care for the planet" song that must not be missed in a Strato album. One little detail, a more inspired solo would have made it shine brighter imo.

In My Line of Work 8/10
I've found myself singing this one throughtout the day :D Gorgeous riff that sticks in your head and that chorus... it's so infectious it's not even funny, really.

Man in the Mirror 10/10
The gem of the album. I get so busy trying to capture all of the sounds it holds I don't even get bothered by the fact the chorus is rather simple. But what an epic simplicity! :D Rolf's drumming here is nothing short of spectacular. Must play live.

Few are Those 8/10
One pretty, simple song that gives me a feeling of happiness. The Fantasy of Eternal. Again, I would've loved a more inspired solo, and may be that beautiful keyboard intro to be a bit longer before the guitar breaks in.

Fire in Your Eyes 7/10
I disliked it the first two times I listened to it, later on I kinda found a creepy charm in it. I believe that a big problem this one faces is that the last two ballads recorded by TK were If the Story is Over and Too Tired to Run, and those are huge, and Jens has written Winter Skies which is beyond beautiful. Still a good song.

Lost Saga 10/10
I kinda hated it when I read what the lyrics for this one would be about. Now that I've heard them, I wouldn't say they are your conventional war/blood/viking lyrics. I do find the Strato approach in them. Musically, one big monster of a song to show off everything the band has to offer. Gotta love the slower part in the middle. Timo's lower range is a pleasure to listen to :)

Pretty much in line with what Rebel has written, an album in which I wouldn't say they've done something wrong, but on the other hand that is just not as brilliant as Nemesis(my favorite Strato record) was. Eternal keeps the quality level high and is super fun to listen to, though! Way to go, guys! :)

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:53 am

So I'm currently on my 3rd listen of Eternal and I have to say that this is their best in 15 years!!!! For myself, Eternal is the first album in a long time that I am able to love something about every song.... The album has this powerful feel about it! Thank you Stratovarius for this masterpiece!

My Eternal Dream is pure melodic power metal to its core... No frills, anthemic Stratovarius that picks off where Visions and Infinite left us off wanting more years ago... The solos on this track give the Tolkki era a run for its money!
This track needs to be their opener at their shows!!!!

Shine in the Dark- we've heard enough of this first single to know that it's classic commercial Stratovarius! Huge chorus and a great meld of classic and Nemesis material!

Rise Above It- WOW!!!! This anthem is fist pump in the air and sure to be a classic, as well as, hopefully a live staple! I'm in love with it from the solo to the last chorus! Uplifting!

Lost Without A Trace- This song reminds me of a dark hybrid of Abyss of Your Eyes and 4000 Rainy Nights! Atmospheric and haunting with a very good solo!

Feeding The Fire- A song the could of easily fit in the classic era as well! Some are calling this song forgettable but I'm inclined to disagree! Great melody and chorus, but I would agree the solo could be a little more than what it was !

In My Line of Work- More modern sounding and catchy with a great riff that stays in your head! Love the lyrics to this one!

Man In The Mirror- I might get it for this but this song reminds me of a 2015 version of the material on Dreamspace! Amazing track though, with thumping rhythm and riff! I love Koti's vocals on this one and Jens' solo is wonderful on this track!

Few Are Those- If there is a third single... This might have to be it! I keep hearing resemblances to HHAL but I don't hear that!!! Well maybe a little.... But either way, the chorus is the star in this song!!! I love the 80s inspired solo though.... Definite replace Eagleheart with this one!

Fire In Your Eyes- this song is a strange piece that at first doesn't seem to fit until about the third listen.... But this song stands on its own as a quasi-ballad with a great classical element.... Something we've missed on Nemesis.... This would be the only song under 8 for me.... I give it a 7 out of 10!

Lost Saga- I've read some flack about that lyrical content on this song and I have to say that I don't mind it at all!!!! This song is brilliant......Please play this one live!!! I live for the choral elements in this track and the guitar work is all over the place....EPIC EPIC EPIC! It is refreshing to have something instead of the standard environmental or introspective lyrics of other Strato-Epics!!!

This may come across as biased but I give Eternal 9.5 out of 10.... A perfect 10 would be one or two more speed oriented songs but then again the bonus tracks may take it there!
SHINE ON!

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:13 am

Just wrapped up my first listen, and I honestly don't think I have the words to express how fucking great this album is. I really feared that this album might not please me, simply because each album since 2009 has been better than the last and I didn't know if Nemesis could be topped.

But Eternal... holy fucking shit, dude. This sounds like Infinite had sex with Nemesis and out came an hour of musical godliness.

There's not one bad song here... again. Four albums running, not one fucking bad song! How the hell do these guys do it?!

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Man In The Mirror.

Holy shit. That is all.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:27 pm

The album is amazing and the Japan edition rules. Is a lot classic Strato with the new touch they have since the new line up appeared. But it is not as different as Nemesis was from the other albums. Nemesis is really a beast,but Eternal is maybe even better. i have to listen more to it and review the songs. This band is in a state of grace. Trully brilliant!! They are not copying themselves and are always surprising. NEVER STOP MAKING ALBUMS!!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Feeding The Fire is leaving me speechless.

As well as Man In The Mirror. And The Lost Saga. And and and...

not enough words yet.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:07 pm

According to this link the track Endless Forest is to Eternal what the track Episode is to Episode. http://youtu.be/rwxghWFOTgY

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:09 pm

rikkertje wrote:According to this link the track Endless Forest is to Eternal what the track Episode is to Episode. http://youtu.be/rwxghWFOTgY
Damn son

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:19 pm

That's a lovely piece of music. Sounds like a forest village in an RPG. I like it.

fuck

Post by fuck » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 pm

:lol: This is the soundtrack to my masturbation sessions. :lol:

foerg

Post by foerg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:37 pm

giants is love at first sight...

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:46 pm

foerg wrote:giants is love at first sight...
What the hellllllll? Why did this song get voted to the bonus track pile! I mean I know Japan needs extra songs but this songs is freaking amazing! It would've been a perfect on the standard edition! This makes Eternal a perfect 10 in my book! :shock:
SHINE ON!

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:57 pm

foerg wrote:giants is love at first sight...
böser Förg, sag doch sowas nicht! hast du mir etwa den besten Song voraus?
war froh dass ich die EMP-Version überhaupt anhören konnte, digicase kam schon leicht angeknackst an, und sonst noch gar keine :lol:

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:02 pm

I like the chorus of Giants. The melody of the verses is a bit weak imo. For me it feels right in its place as a bonus track. The rest of the album is stronger.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:36 pm

Feeding the Fire, In my Line of Work, and Man in the Mirror are fantastic.

Shoutout to Lost Saga and Few are Those. The whole album is enjoyable to listen. Please come to the US you bastards! :lol:

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:46 am

Giants rocks. Great tune. Love the cadence at the end of the chorus. Classic power metal.

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:11 pm

Didn't receive my Japanese bonus track edition yet, but had enough time to give the European version a few more listens by now. I'm more than happy with this release, seems to me like the perfect example of how to make a "classic" powermetal album that can still surprise and impress the audience. I'm relieved they managed to go pretty much without the semi-predictable cheese that often comes along with powermetal, something that left me slightly disappointed with Stormcrow for example. All in all, music-wise I seem to enjoy Matias' and Jens' songs slightly more than the Timo/Liimatainen-songs, but the combination is once again what makes this album an interesting and strong one. Very good production and mix as usual, didn't expect anything less :lol:

My Eternal Dream shines with a great guitar solo and is a very powerful start where everything a good powermetal song needs is squeezed into one great song. Very much enjoying the keyboard-guitar-section, and all in all just the right voice range for Timo nowadays imo. 9/10

Shine In The Dark offers very catchy melodies, a classic sing-along-song for me which works very well live. 8/10

Rise Above It got me instantly, first thing I thought was "holy shit, that's awesome" :D Great intro and melody and nice mini-guitar-solo. Would be great to hear live. 10/10

Lost Without A Trace is still one of my favourites here, dark and kinda melancholic vibe, very good lyrics and kinda "classic" melody and a great guitar solo. Allows you to catch some breath before the next song starts kicking your ass again^^ 10/10

Feeding The Fire is also one of my favourites, very cool bassline and good chorus, great job from Timo here. A powerful song with great melodies, Open your eyes... Very good stuff! 10/10

In My Line Of Work has a great intro, then the drumming blows you away and leads into an interesting melody. Too bad the chorus is somehow weak, but rest of the song, especially the drumming makes up for that. 8/10

Man In The Mirror is a very interesting song. Outstanding drumming. Impressive lyrics and melodies and a typical Jens keyboard solo just like we love it. 9/10

Few Are Those is a showcase for Timo's range, though I very much prefer the lower range parts. Good song, but in comparison to the other faster songs on the album my least favourite atm - maybe a bit too classic for my taste :lol: 07/10

Fire In Your Eyes has a very nice melody, and great job from Timo. For me, the chorus lyrics could've offered a second verse instead of just repeating the words, but well^^ 7/10

The Lost Saga
Epic song, makes me smile all over the face everytime the choir starts! Epic intro, very interesting structure and tempo changes, awesome drumming and riffing, remarkable combination of bassline and drumming during the first guitar solo... and seriously, why on earth should Stratovarius not write about vikings, is there a rule what this band should write about?? C'mon. This is Elysium's little Nordic brother, nothing wrong with that. 10/10

Edit: Coming to think about it, the -1 for My Eternal Dream doesn't seem justified :lol:

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:54 am

Honestly I think Fire In Your Eyes is the best ballad (along with Move the Mountain) since... probably 4000 Rainy Nights, which for many years was my favorite ballad ever, at least from Stratovarius, which is saying a lot to me. I love how well this song was written for Timo's modern vocal range. Even as a power metal band, Stratovarius can create beautiful music that isn't even heavy. My favorite parts of the song are the beginning and end, when it's just piano and his voice. Absolutely gorgeous.

Sorry everyone. I'm a huge fucking Stratovarius fan. New album releases are occasions that I have an excuse to geek out with the few other fans I can find, either here or through their Facebook. It's lonely in the USA.

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:28 am

Empathica1928 wrote:Honestly I think Fire In Your Eyes is the best ballad (along with Move the Mountain) since... probably 4000 Rainy Nights, which for many years was my favorite ballad ever, at least from Stratovarius, which is saying a lot to me. I love how well this song was written for Timo's modern vocal range. Even as a power metal band, Stratovarius can create beautiful music that isn't even heavy. My favorite parts of the song are the beginning and end, when it's just piano and his voice. Absolutely gorgeous.

Sorry everyone. I'm a huge fucking Stratovarius fan. New album releases are occasions that I have an excuse to geek out with the few other fans I can find, either here or through their Facebook. It's lonely in the USA.
Well glad to know at least there's some other fans here in the USA. It does get lonely here.
I thought Fire In Your Eyes was okay. I do agree that Move the Mountain was a pretty great song. Ballads just never stuck with me much, I'm not a slow song person I guess.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:21 pm

As of today I'm completely hooked on that choir-outro of Giants. Jens is a master in these kind of chord progressions.

The overall song has really grown on me. It's kind of like if Phoenix and Glory of The World had a baby.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Empathica1928 wrote:Honestly I think Fire In Your Eyes is the best ballad (along with Move the Mountain) since... probably 4000 Rainy Nights, which for many years was my favorite ballad ever, at least from Stratovarius, which is saying a lot to me. I love how well this song was written for Timo's modern vocal range. Even as a power metal band, Stratovarius can create beautiful music that isn't even heavy. My favorite parts of the song are the beginning and end, when it's just piano and his voice. Absolutely gorgeous.

What part of USA?

My roommate and I are both Strato fans, feels good brah

Goal Stockhausen

Post by Goal Stockhausen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:44 pm

:luv1: :luv1: Oh how I love "Endless Forest". It is like a drug. I MUST listen again and AGAIN...

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:38 am

SentineLEX wrote:

What part of USA?

Illinois. Around Champaign. Country as fuck out here.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Empathica1928 wrote:
SentineLEX wrote:

What part of USA?

Illinois. Around Champaign. Country as fuck out here.
Damn nvm. Two of us here in the NJ area, thought we could have a third.

fuck

Post by fuck » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm also from the USA but I'm not telling where I'm from. :lol: