Eternal Reaction and Reviews

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
StratovariusFTW
Re: Eternal Reaction and Reviews

Post by StratovariusFTW » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm really impressed with the direction Stratovarius is taking since Matias joined. I've been a Stratovarius fan for all my life (since I was about 6 years old actually). Their style has continued to evolve and taken a very different turn from the old Stratovarius, but in my opinion they've only grown stronger and better since Polaris. My favorite album is definitely Elysium, the mix and mastering is absolutely fantastic and the compositions are just spot on. Eternal is not quite up there with Elysium in my opinion, but it's incredible nevertheless, definitely second place and another life-long favorite released by this band :lol:

I'm also very interested in the choir arrangement of The Lost Saga, it would be really fun to know more about it. Did one of the band members arrange it, or was an outsider hired to do the arranging for the voices? It sounds really good and a lot different (more classical) than other Stratovarius choir-parts. It wouldn't surprise me if Jens had the knowledge of choir-voicing (fyrstämmig sats?) like this, though.

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:34 pm

StratovariusFTW wrote:I'm also very interested in the choir arrangement of The Lost Saga, it would be really fun to know more about it. Did one of the band members arrange it, or was an outsider hired to do the arranging for the voices? It sounds really good and a lot different (more classical) than other Stratovarius choir-parts. It wouldn't surprise me if Jens had the knowledge of choir-voicing (fyrstämmig sats?) like this, though.
Booklet just says "choir arrangements and notation by Perttu Vänskä", who already had a hand in Lauri's concert for e-bass and orchestra back in February if I remember correctly, and also in the past albums in one or the other way. No idea how much the others may have been involved ???

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:10 pm

I had a feeling I wasn't close to anyone around here. Hell, even if you guys were in Chicago, it'd be 2-3 hours to the north!

This album gets better every day. I think Timo's best vocals are on Fire In Your Eyes and Man In The Mirror. The energy and way he nails 'every step of the road' could not be more classic Stratovarius, and his English pronunciation has gotten WAY better through the years, you can hear it on Fire In Your Eyes.

Breathtaking effort, this album. Can't wait til my copy comes in. Once I find a decently priced copy of Fright Night I can begin collecting all the compilations (my poor wallet...) and special editions I don't have. Strato's officially the one band I 'collect' outside of the studio albums.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Loving this album! My thoughts after 5 listens:

10/10:
-My Eternal Dream sounds amazing and is one of their best fast numbers to date.
-Shine in the Dark is probably my favorite single in the entire discography at the moment.
-Lost Without a Trace is really sinister sounding, and I like it. I'm surprised as well, usually Lauri does the happy songs. Even his more progressive numbers like Emancipation and Lifetime in a Moment have calming qualities.
-Man in the Mirror sounds like a more progressive version of Dragons.
-Fire In Your Eyes is like a combination of Keep the Flame and Move the Mountain. Wish it were a little longer but I won't take off points for that since it makes me put the song on repeat.
-Lost Saga is breathtaking. It almost sounds like something out of Halo.

9/10:
-Rise Above It: I wanted this one to be a little faster, but still a very solid song. Needs to be played live.

8/10:
-Feeding the Fire: I never really liked Paradise so I was a bit unsure of this one going in. But I was listening to Visions the other day, and then the Visions live album, and I was floored at the raw energy the 5 put into their setlist. Like going back to the original album, you start to hear "Oh yeah, kick that up a few notches and it'll sound great live!" And I noticed that on Elysium, the songs didn't have that potential to be flat-out flaming. Like, The Game Never Ends, short of being played in double time, can't capture the same raw energy as something like Legions. Feeding the Fire does not have this problem. I still don't like the preachy songs but I'll take what I can get. Everything else is spot-on.
-Few Are Those: I love the sound but it starts to fade away being in the middle of the two ridiculously catchy Jens songs.

6/10:
-In My Line of Work: Sounds like a Symfonia song. I can't say anything that stands out about this song, but it doesn't get boring and is nice to listen to.

Overall: 91/100. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this one, and still recovering after being floored by Stormcrow but adjusting for those factors I'd put this one as my current third-favorite, behind Elements 1 and Nemesis, ahead of Episode.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:18 pm

THIS ALBUM IS PURE AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Can we talk for a moment about how dark the lyrics for Man In The Mirror's verses are, by Stratovarius standards? It's vulgar, it's dark, it's fucking metal. 'A mouth open, flies ascending; a paradise of empty souls' gives me goosebumps with that melody. Jens hit a home run with this song.

Yeah, definitely my favorite song on the album. HAS to be played live!!

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Empathica1928 wrote:Can we talk for a moment about how dark the lyrics for Man In The Mirror's verses are, by Stratovarius standards? It's vulgar, it's dark, it's fucking metal. 'A mouth open, flies ascending; a paradise of empty souls' gives me goosebumps with that melody. Jens hit a home run with this song.

Yeah, definitely my favorite song on the album. HAS to be played live!!
"Your dead lips embrace deception
My head filled with wasted words
You kill what you can't devour
You wanna drown me in a lake of shit filth"

Yeah what the hell? I love it, but wasn't expecting this after the last album's

"Sing along, to this song, and let it show that you're strong
Don't pretend, help a friend, they are with you until the end
You will see, you can be whatever you would like to be
Come with me you can make it anywhere"

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Please drown me in shit filth. :twisted:

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:27 am

I believe there's a typo in the booklet there, because TK doesn't sing the word 'shit'. I think they had two options:

'You wanna drown me in a lake of shit' and 'You wanna drown me in a lake of filth'.

If you listen closely you'll hear that TK sings the last one.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:21 pm

rikkertje wrote:I believe there's a typo in the booklet there, because TK doesn't sing the word 'shit'. I think they had two options:

'You wanna drown me in a lake of shit' and 'You wanna drown me in a lake of filth'.

If you listen closely you'll hear that TK sings the last one.
That bugged the hell out of me when I looked in the booklet. I had to go listen to the song again to make sure but yeah, he definitely only says 'filth.'

To be honest I think 'filth' works better. Is that the only time 'shit' has ever been in Stratovarius lyrics?

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Is the word "whore" really in the song though? That's also a first for Strato I believe.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:30 pm

SentineLEX wrote:Is the word "whore" really in the song though? That's also a first for Strato I believe.
Whore yes, but shit nope.

fuck

Post by fuck » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:25 pm

THINKING ABOUT USING CURSES? THINK AGAIN! NEW LAWS WILL PUT YOU IN JAIL!

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:05 am

SentineLEX wrote:Is the word "whore" really in the song though? That's also a first for Strato I believe.
Yes, for Strato it is. TK used it on the song Dreams and Reality from his Serenity album: "I don't need a virgin, I don't want a whore."

http://youtu.be/iWmo19yY8ys

Febo

Post by Febo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:28 am

Well, well...
Eternal hit the #5 spot in the Finnish charts.
It's kinda hard to go higher when Iron Maiden, Slayer and Amorphis have just released albums as well, but still :(

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Maybe it'll stay for a while.

The Nightwish album has been charting for 25 weeks...

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:23 am

I think if I were to redo my ranking today, I'd actually drop Elements to #2 behind The Lost Saga. It was good the first time and has been growing on me since.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:05 am

I think I've listened to the album long enough to give proper first impressions... but first, let's to a "HinatAArcticA thing":

This is better than any of the latest Sonata Arctica records.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's check this thing.

My Eternal Dream ( 10 ): THIS is how you start a power metal record. I keep thinking this song is this lineup's Black Diamond or Speed of Light. I think it's bound to become a classic. It's old-school yet fresh and new. It has the brand of what the band has been doing since Elysium

Shine in the Dark ( 8 ): I dubbed this track Nemesis Pt. 2, because how similar the structure of the songs is, specially during the chorus. Compared, I prefer the older track from the previous record though. It's a good track still, but it makes me wanna go back to Nemesis.

Rise Above It ( 7 ): This track is powerful and fresh. I really like the chorus, but it doesn't do a whole lot for me other than that.

Lost Without a Trace ( 9 ): This one has a great darker melody, an amazing chorus and though heavier and not as fast is definitely way better than the previous two. I seem to be in a lesser minority who enjoys Lauri's darker stranger compositions. I loved Lifetime in a Moment, so I'm glad the band can still tackle this style, with a bit more energy! But Lauri's compositions have this aura to them that I really really enjoy.

Feeding the Fire ( 7 ): I enjoy this one a tad more than Rise. I put it in the same boat as Shine. It's a good track, but doesn't have anything that big for me on it.

In my Line of Work ( 9 ): Damn Jani, his stamp is ALL OVER this song, along with Timo's lighter style of composing, but their styles combined are just so great. This is really a great track. With how meh I always thought Higher we Go was, I'm happy to see this progress in Timo's music. It's a great track.

Man in the Mirror ( 10 ): My second 10/10 score in the album. This song has very heavy passages. It's filled with atmosphere and power. Jens outdid himself this time. This track is amazing for me. This is up there with Infernal Maze, Abandon, Deep Unknown, Nemesis and My Eternal Dream as some of my favorite recent Stratovarius tracks. I'm glad Strato can have some of this darker yet fresh music.

Few Are Those ( 8 ): Another one that has Jani's stamp but Timo's style all over it. Great example of how damn amazing the duo can be. I swear they meeting and teaming up is one of the best things to happen to the Finish metal scene. They can do really great stuff.

Fire in Your Eyes ( 6 ): There's a reason I'm being really harsh on this one: Move the Mountain. Move happens to be one of my favorite Strato slower tracks, at least from the more recent albums. So, in comparison it just falls short, and since they are from the same composer.

The Lost Saga ( 8 ): Musically, this is what I was expecting from Sonata Arctica's Larger than Life, a song that other than the "We all shall one day become what we play. The marvelous... part, I find horribly dull and boring. I really like how this song takes time to breath. Matias is a genius when doing this for a single track that can be fast and energetic and also slow and heavy. With the track however, I have two problems that take those 2 points from the score. First: the lyrics. While not bad, are just not good enough. For a first attempt at the topic is alright, but it falls short to the rest of the album's lyrics. If they go into the topic again, I know it'd be better.
Second: Elysium. I mean the track, not the album. I didn't mention it above as one of my favorite current Strato songs because THIS is my favorite of the post Polaris Stratovarius, by far. And being that both are pretty long tracks by Matias, I can't help but compare, and Elysium just blows this one out of the water. It's still a really good track.

BONUS TRACKS:

Giants ( 8 ): The intro reminded me of some of the older more rock inspired tracks that Intermission had. For a moment I hoped they maybe would do a track in that vein. For a bonus track I think it's really good, but Castaway remains my current favorite bonus track for post Polaris Strato.

Endless Forest ( ?? ): Oh I LOVE this track, but I have no idea how to rate it. This one makes me think SO MUCH of Jens' Ten Seasons. I really enjoy this kind of thing. There's a magical feel to it. The tittle is so fitting, though I understand why this one would be a bonus track.

OVERALL SCORE: 8.2 (Not counting bonus tracks)
It's a damn great album. Some of the sevens I gave are based on how high some of the eights in this album can be. I keep juggling this album along with Nemesis and Elysium to decide which of the three I like the most. Probably Elysium, but I can't decide from the other two.

I don't usually like to give scores, but I guess it's a bit fun. I just find super hard to give a number to all the feelings a track can inspire, but there you go :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Jossu

Post by Jossu » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:58 pm

I totally agreed, this album is amazing. :headbang:

I really like how Rolf plays his drums = Jumalauta mitä tykitystä !!
He is one of the best drummers :beer:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Man in the mirror is my favourite song at the moment.

PURE CLASSIC!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:28 pm

RazielSR wrote:Man in the mirror is my favourite song at the moment.

PURE CLASSIC!
Agree! Should be on the setlist at once!

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Still holding onto #15 on the Finnish album charts by week 4!

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 pm

I don't think there's anything else coming out this year that can top this. Still kicks ass. Easily top 5, maybe top 3 albums I've heard all year, fighting for #1. Shine In The Dark isn't as strong as the other singles from the last 3 albums, in my opinion, so I'm really glad they went with My Eternal Dream for the video, but it's still a good tune.

Hope they do another video, though, and they go with Lost Without A Trace or Man In The Mirror. PLS

Pancio

Post by Pancio » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:03 pm

After a month of hard 'n' heavy listening I'm ready for the review.

My Eternal Dream 9,5/10

Very fast classic track where Kotipelto shine a lot in the vocal parts(this song fits perfectly to his range nowadays).I like a lot the Destiny/Infinite mood in the "rythm" keyboard but I don't like the keyboard solo,to me is too empty.Rolf is solid behind the drum and Lauri gives a bass boost.Matias kick ass through the entire album,in particular on this song,but we all know his ability behind the guitar.Another thing,this song is perfection live!
P.s. The outro from solo guitar is similar to the pre-solo part from Forever Free.

Shine in the Dark 8/10

Nice mid-tempo poppy tune with reminiscences of Halcyon Days and Unbreakable but still original,nothing to say but Kotipelto shine one more time in the chorus with high pitch vocals and through the entire songs.Guitar,bass and drums are perfect as always and Jens this time is UberPerfect in the solo section.Nothing more to say,Strato shine(in the dark?) and this track works perfectly for radio and live!

Rise above it 8(9-1)/10

I like the approach of Matias on this album and I love this song as well but,this time,I have to cut out a point since this song is too similar to Forever Free in music and lyrics too.
Aside that the song is magnificent,the intro with unison from Jens and Matias is crazy and then the song turns into a simple power song with great sing along chorus and melodic rythm guitar too,I like the syncopation here and there and the rythmic work is perfect,both bass and drums.Soloing part is perfect and Matias shine a lot!One thing I noticed that Kotipelto is a little forced on this one,he doesn't sing badly he sing very well but I don't think this song is playable live,too difficult in vocal parts.Anyway great song!

Lost without a Trace 7/10

Maybe one of the song I like less on this album,I can't say what is wrong but it sounds underwhelming and out of the album's mood to me.
I like the guitar solo less than the others on the album and I don't like the vocal melodies since they sound aseptic.This doesn't mean that is a bad song,but doesn't not convince me.

Feeding the Fire 8,5/10

I found out that this song is perfect during bad day,is uplifting and overwhelming,powerful like Hunting High and Low and the chord progression is similar to Hunting as well.The vocal melodies are perfection to me,they bring power to the listener and the strenght to carry on,Kotipelto shines once more and give the right mood!The other guys do their work flawlessy solo part included even if I like more intricate stuff.
I don't know how but Kotipelto sings very high on Feeding but reach the notes very well,very relaxed so I think this is a good choice for live shows!

In my Line of Work 7,5/10

I don't know why but to me the songs from Jani and Timo(not Shine in the Dark though)are the b-side from Stormcrow,I don't know why but they sounds too weak in melodies.
I'm not a big fan of Liimatainen songwriting due to lyrics and since I don't like his guitar playing,but the two Cain's Offering are good albums and this song is weak compared to them so I prefer Kotipelto to works with Matias.
The song itself is well played but I think that,another time,Kotipelto is too much stretched through is vocal range so I don't like the way they play this song live.

Man in the Mirror 8,5/10

This is the song that grows in me the most.During the first two weeks I don't like it 'cause the atypical songwriting for Stratovarius but then...BOOM!It has eploded in me!Good vocal lines,good keyboard parts and solos,nice and atypical syncopation on rythm guitar,cool lyrics and nice bass and drums work!I found out that the end is too long due to the repetition of the chorus but aside that a very cool song!Nice shot Jens!

Few are Those 7-8/10

Another time the sensation that Liimatainen has throw to Timo a b-side from Stormcrow due the lack of ideas for Eternal,don't know.The song is better than ImLoW and it works better as a standalone song but it's too much catchy and too much easy for Strato standards.Nothing to say 'bout the guys nice work but this time Timo is very very very stretched during the chorus,this song is unplayable live.I trust Timo,he gained a lot of control on his voice,but his range is diminished a lot after 2011/2012 bacterial infection.

Fire in your Eyes 7/10

This time Jens has written an anonymous ballad,shame on you Jens!The real problem of this song is that sounds a lot like Keep the Flame to my ears and I'm not a fan of this kind of ballad.Winter Skies and If the Stroy is Over are true power metal ballads,this one not,sorry Jens I hope for the next time! :(

The Lost Saga ??(10)/10

Here we are,The Lost Saga,the 12 minutes suite at the end of the album.
How to describe it?The marvellous?The pearl?I don't know,but this is THE song of the album.Nice choir,nice melodies,nice structure,nice vocals,nice soloing parts,nice rythm parts,nice all!I love the intro(and I think it work perfectly as a concert intro like Destiny for example),and I love the lyrics,I love the 12/8 metric pattern throughout the song.Kotipelto shine once again and give to the song the right mood and the right power.Porra do an excellent job behind the bass but this time he was eclipsed by Rolf who do an uberjob!What else?!The solo part!WTF guys,this sound like Dream Theater or Symphony X in some parts,this is the stuff I want to hear from a band like Strato,at one point I was blown away by the terrific solo and rythm of Kupiainen and Jens.This song is topped only by Elysium Suite in the recent era and thats why I put the "??(10)/10" because I don't know what the rate is if not the maximum.

End of the review.

A pair of consideration about album and songs,as stated by Kotipelto the album is born during the 2014 Visions Tour and we can all clearly hear it,but I think that most of the songs are composed to replace some older songs and variegate the setlist,removing the hundred played Hunting,Eagleheart,Black Diamond and so on.Let's see during next year!

Sorry for mistakes I'm really tired today!

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Panzzziooooooooo!!!!!! Porca miseria!!!!
I will kill ck your butt harder to troll my eternal love of universo, the nigga moda faka!!!! Vendetttaaaaaaaa!!!!! :x

And suck socks of stratovarius.

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:03 am

He's back
and looks like his English hasn't improved

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Southern_Cross wrote:He's back
0.@!

Who back, chinese kid.... :x

I'm the supreme, THE..... SUPREME.

AND!.... i have bad news for you....... CHINA IS YELOWWW!!!! HO HO HO HO HO HO!!

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:44 pm

ATTACK MY WOLF!!!! ATTACK!!!!! :x

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:39 am

Motha-faka wrote:
0.@!

AND!.... i have bad news for you....... CHINA IS YELOWWW!!!! HO HO HO HO HO HO!!
Yea, we're yellow. So?

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Southern_Cross wrote:
Motha-faka wrote:
0.@!

Yea, we're yellow. So?
You don't understand. Argentina is white. Flavio is a prime example of the Aryan race.