timo tolkki is finnish roger waters

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
SentineLEX
timo tolkki is finnish roger waters

Post by SentineLEX » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:26 am

- no dad
- wrote quite a few songs about not having a dad
- took a band started by some other dude and kicked him out
- wrote a few albums that didn't go anywhere
- put out one (visions, dark side of the moon) that tons of old people will tell you is the best album in the genre
- the one before that sounds just like it (episode, meddle) and hipsters won't shut up about how much it is better
- then two albums that also sold a lot of copies but nobody talks about those as much for some reason
- then a double album where they jumped the shark
- then a bad album (that still sold a lot of copies)
- then they bankrupted the band and got out, leaving the guitarist to write all the new songs from scratch while they go off to do solo albums
- the solo albums (rr, saana, pros and cons of hitchhiking) failed
- the rest of the band realized they can do fairly well without the one guy who wrote all their songs (polaris, momentary lapse)
- tries to restart his tour every 5 years despite forgetting how to do half the songs
- weird obsession with hitler

merry christmas
don't forget to drink with your family

ZenithMC

Re: timo tolkki is finnish roger waters

Post by ZenithMC » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:13 am

I never noticed the parallels before. Then again, I don't really keep tabs on Pink Floyd and Roger Waters as well as I do for Stratovarius and Timo Tolkki.
SentineLEX wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:26 am
- the one before that sounds just like it (episode, meddle) and hipsters won't shut up about how much it is better
Those damn hipsters. :roll:

If you want to have that debate, I find that Episode has a more diverse collection of songs, which enhances its appeal to me. Visions, on the other hand, is far more consistent. Both are very good albums, but because of that distinction, it doesn't send me on the same kind of "journey" as Episode does. Also, I find the verses of Before the Winter boring, but not as boring as Winter from Fourth Dimension. My interest is piqued throughout the entire duration of Episode. Anyways, it's not a night and day difference in appeal, so it's easy for me to see why people would prefer one or the other as their favorite.

Merry Christmas to you as well, SentineLEX. I already got drinking with my family covered. :lol:
:beer:

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:00 am

SentineLEX wrote:
- no dad
- wrote quite a few songs about not having a dad
- took a band started by some other dude and kicked him out
- wrote a few albums that didn't go anywhere
- put out one (visions, dark side of the moon) that tons of old people will tell you is the best album in the genre
- then two albums that also sold a lot of copies but nobody talks about those as much for some reason
- then a double album where they jumped the shark
- then a bad album (that still sold a lot of copies)
- then they bankrupted the band and got out, leaving the guitarist to write all the new songs from scratch while they go off to do solo albums
- the solo albums (rr, saana, pros and cons of hitchhiking) failed
- the rest of the band realized they can do fairly well without the one guy who wrote all their songs (polaris, momentary lapse)
- tries to restart his tour every 5 years despite forgetting how to do half the songs
- weird obsession with hitler

merry christmas
don't forget to drink with your family
You just don't his artistic vision, man. It doesn't matter if people like it, it's about if they liked it. I don't know anything about Pink Floyd except all the burnouts would listen to them in high school and say they were the best band ever. Save some alcohol for your dad.

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:16 pm

Roger Waters is an old IDIOT, support the populism, comunism like Nicolas Maduro, Cristina Kirchnner and PUTIN. I'm tired of his stupid actions :x

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:22 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:13 am
I never noticed the parallels before. Then again, I don't really keep tabs on Pink Floyd and Roger Waters as well as I do for Stratovarius and Timo Tolkki.
SentineLEX wrote:
Those damn hipsters. :roll:

If you want to have that debate, I find that Episode has a more diverse collection of songs, which enhances its appeal to me. Visions, on the other hand, is far more consistent. Both are very good albums, but because of that distinction, it doesn't send me on the same kind of "journey" as Episode does. Also, I find the verses of Before the Winter boring, but not as boring as Winter from Fourth Dimension. My interest is piqued throughout the entire duration of Episode. Anyways, it's not a night and day difference in appeal, so it's easy for me to see why people would prefer one or the other as their favorite.

Merry Christmas to you as well, SentineLEX. I already got drinking with my family covered. :lol:
:beer:
In all seriousness I agree that Episode is the better album. The songs have better climaxes and manage to stand apart from each other, as you say, while maintaining a consistent tone. Visions does too for the most part but with some like Before the Winter and Holy Light it sounds like they're trying to copy Episode rather than building off Visions' own themes.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:44 am

Roger Waters is anti Donald Trump while timo apparently admires him, according to that one podcast he's doing sporadically on YouTube.

I agree about the weird obsession about Hitler lol

Another similarity is that they are both extremely self-important lol

robocop

Post by robocop » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 am

SentineLEX wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:22 am

In all seriousness I agree that Episode is the better album. The songs have better climaxes and manage to stand apart from each other, as you say, while maintaining a consistent tone. Visions does too for the most part but with some like Before the Winter and Holy Light it sounds like they're trying to copy Episode rather than building off Visions' own themes.
So fuckin’ picky. :lol: Put those albums against anything that comes out nowadays and you’ll see that rather than “copying” it’s more that that is their own style, and I swear to god kids are spoiled nowadays. Back in the day you stuck with your sound and didn’t have to play at 420 bpm and have the most complex songs that the world has ever heard to be accepted. :lol: I am grateful that such music even exists, when I first heard those albums it truly felt like it changed my life. :lol:

Only because I was a young douche only exposed to American garbage!! I know you are knowledgeable, you have to step back and realize how great things were. In that time, from that time period, it’s not like now where every asshole in their basement can make a fuckin orchestrated masterpiece with their two nuts tied together, with the way it was back then you had to rely on pure creativity and not lean on the whole technology part depending on it being clean as a goddamn whistle with the most perfect songs with perfect perfections. :lol: With my opinions now always all over the place, I understand everybody has their own take on things, it’s easy to forget the way things were and get lost in the current age of BULLSHITTTTTTT!!!

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:30 am

robocop wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 am
BULLSHITTTTTTT!!!

A LOT HUGE BULLSHIT.... WAS SENTINELEX, NOT ME, YOU CAN SEE THAT THE MEME HAVE MR.BEAN FACE... :shock:

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:52 am

I know that your post was in response to SentineLEX, but I couldn't help but feel this applied to me as well.
robocop wrote:
So fuckin’ picky. :lol: Put those albums against anything that comes out nowadays and you’ll see that rather than “copying” it’s more that that is their own style, and I swear to god kids are spoiled nowadays.
In any era, there has always existed shit music. Conversely, every era has also had its offerings of incredible music. Of course, being exposed to such awesome music for so long will eventually cause one's taste in music to become more selective and particular, it's only natural.

Now, I'm a pretty picky person, but I felt the need to understand and identify why certain elements in a song sound good to me, and others sound less pleasant. It's important to me, because I want to expand upon the formula that others have already laid out. I guess you could say that I'm not a casual listener. :lol:

I consider Episode to be nearly flawless, and Visions almost flawless. I'm not about to pretend that Visions is without any flaws. There were some, but they were very few. That said, I like the albums almost equally, but prefer Episode for the reasons previously stated.

I'm kind of weird, but the first song I remember hearing (and one of my earliest memories) was the stage select theme from Mega Man 3 (Bun Bun!). In my early life, I listened mostly to video game music, and not music from bands and musicians. When I discovered power metal, I thought it sounded a lot like video game music, which is a major reason for why I enjoy listening to it. Maybe that's why power metal didn't have a huge impact on my taste in music, because I treated it as an extension of video game music. That's not to say it didn't have any impact on my life as a musician. I became a composer because of video game music, but I became a musician because of power metal.
robocop wrote:
Back in the day you stuck with your sound and didn’t have to play at 420 bpm and have the most complex songs that the world has ever heard to be accepted. :lol:
Now, I understand that your remark was hyperbolic, but has the soundscape really shifted all that much over the past 20 years? Are you speaking just in terms of Power Metal or Prog. Metal?
robocop wrote:
In that time, from that time period, it’s not like now where every asshole in their basement can make a fuckin orchestrated masterpiece with their two nuts tied together, with the way it was back then you had to rely on pure creativity and not lean on the whole technology part depending on it being clean as a goddamn whistle with the most perfect songs with perfect perfections. :lol:
This is still true to this day. While the tools may have changed, It still requires effort, skill, and creativity on the part of the composer to make quality music. In the future, it's possible that music can be made entirely by a machine, and while that may sound lame, it wouldn't be difficult for machine-made compositions to sound indistinguishable from that of a human-made composition. Hell, it's not even difficult for good human composers to emulate other composers' styles. The hard part is adding your own unique style into the mix.

By the way, the way I write music hasn't evolved since day one. I still use the same ancient MIDI authoring software, which was released in 1998! :lol:
robocop wrote:
it’s easy to forget the way things were and get lost in the current age of BULLSHITTTTTTT!!!
Maybe my problem is that I don't seek out the bullshit, and that's why I'm blind (or deaf) to it. I guess it would be helpful to know what not to strive for.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:00 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:44 am
Roger Waters is anti Donald Trump while timo apparently admires him, according to that one podcast he's doing sporadically on YouTube.
Timo Tolkki admires Donald Trump? :shock: Whatever happened to "no borders, no laws any kind"? :lol: Which podcast did he say that in?

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:00 am
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Timo Tolkki admires Donald Trump? :shock: Whatever happened to "no borders, no laws any kind"? :lol: Which podcast did he say that in?
It was the first episode of his podcast with Rat Salad review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4camZwpdHRU

I remember the subject also came up briefly in one of the other podcasts. He might be going for the shock-value-contrarian thing, but I don't know.

I actually liked those podcasts by the way- I heard them all so far and they are ongoing. You will like it in particular (Zenith) because he goes into some of the guts of recording I think- its supposed to go album by album.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:50 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:

I agree about the weird obsession about Hitler lol

Another similarity is that they are both extremely self-important lol
Is he really? I remember at least ~10 years ago Timo was left leaning. Maybe he still is but just admires Trump.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:55 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 am
ZenithMC wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:00 am
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
It was the first episode of his podcast with Rat Salad review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4camZwpdHRU

I remember the subject also came up briefly in one of the other podcasts. He might be going for the shock-value-contrarian thing, but I don't know.

I actually liked those podcasts by the way- I heard them all so far and they are ongoing. You will like it in particular (Zenith) because he goes into some of the guts of recording I think- its supposed to go album by album.
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. :)

robocop

Post by robocop » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:49 am

I typed out some shit, must have got deleted. Send me some of your music in a PM.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 am

robocop wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:49 am
I typed out some shit, must have got deleted. Send me some of your music in a PM.
I'll send you some samples of my work. I know that A10 has also expressed interest in hearing my music, so I'll send him some samples too, out of courtesy. I've got to think of what songs to share, first.

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:19 pm

robocop

Post by robocop » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:33 pm

Where’s pancio?? Anybody here about the infinite visions new thing? Any info?

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:58 pm

stop the bullshit, i'm roger waters and i'm not fat as timo tolkki!! 0.0!!

but maybe yes a bit idiot, suport to nicolas maduro, putin and comunism....

but he is billonaire... dear god, he kill my roger waters fan boy status.....!! :shock:

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 am

robocop wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:33 pm
Where’s pancio?? Anybody here about the infinite visions new thing? Any info?
I hope pancio is well. Northern Italy got hit hard by the Coronavirus. :(

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 pm

RIP, Pancio! I'll tell my mom to pray for your soul. :~(

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:24 pm

I'm timo tolkki and I back with a other fan video!!! 0.0!!

After he posted this video on his fb I wrote there ...
"So beautifull and sad ... When I saw the photos I thought about You therapy... Have You ever been in some process of psychotherapy working with "Inner Child"? You look as a big child on the photos... lost, sad, depressed...
Maybe sometimes angry and willful...
Many Czech people can admire Your music now ... I haven´t heard Your exellent songs and guitar before ... and the same is said by many of my friends.
Boulevard journalists are quite annoying but their articles can sometimes help... even not wanted publicity makes You new fans... because Your music is really good."

DEAR GOSH!! IS NOT SO HARD TAKE HIS MEDICINE!! :x

THIS LOOKS MORE SWEET THAT A LOLLIPOP WITH SUGAR! :x

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 pm

More news of timo tolkki... this song is of timo tolkki really? is very weak :shock:

PD ediT: This is a COLLABORATION WITH A BAND :?

well... what do you think? :oops:

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:13 pm

I dont know... i dislike the actual productions, the drummers song like drum toys.

I dont know why timo tolkki do sound to borg michael so good in the past. actually the drummers sound really bad :shock:

anyone knows the timo tolkki secret about drums?

Included with tuomo lassila sound epic

drums in stratovarius:

90's stratovarius: timo tolkki - tuomo lassila

2000 stratovarius : Timo tolkki - Jorg Michael

2015 Stratovarius - I dont have the fucking idea who do the tolkki job actually

you can see the difference? IS HUGE! :shock:

THE TECHNOLOGY FUCK UP STRATOVARIUS OR IS OTHER TECHNIQUE? - WHAT DO YOU THINK? :?:
Last edited by Motha-faka on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:26 pm

More fan videos of timo tolkki :shock:

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:48 pm

timo tolkki in Costa Rica playing stratovarius :shock:

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:06 pm

NEW INTERVIEW TIMO TOLKKI

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:36 pm

Motha-faka wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:13 pm
I know the secret and the basic gist of it is to use samples. I discussed the difference in drum sounds over the years elsewhere in this forum, but I'm too lazy to track down my posts. :lol:

In basic terms, if you want to engineer a snare sample that sounds similar to the one that was used on the golden era albums, you need to use gated plate reverb, a compressor, and EQ.

Fright night is, perhaps, the only Stratovarius album not to use drum samples, and you can hear how drastic the difference is (but a lot of the difference also has to do with the drums being engineered with a different mindset from that of the power metal sound). You can hear that the drums are very dynamic and there is far less consistency in velocity compared to, say, Twilight Time.

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:05 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:36 pm
Motha-faka wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:13 pm
I know the secret and the basic gist of it is to use samples. I discussed the difference in drum sounds over the years elsewhere in this forum, but I'm too lazy to track down my posts. :lol:

In basic terms, if you want to engineer a snare sample that sounds similar to the one that was used on the golden era albums, you need to use gated plate reverb, a compressor, and EQ.

Fright night is, perhaps, the only Stratovarius album not to use drum samples, and you can hear how drastic the difference is (but a lot of the difference also has to do with the drums being engineered with a different mindset from that of the power metal sound). You can hear that the drums are very dynamic and there is far less consistency in velocity compared to, say, Twilight Time.
Dear Gosh... actually the music industry fuck up the bands about quality.... i dont know... the drums in overall sound like child toys, is a shame why one drummer like rolf is a good drummer, but is a shit the drum sound, sound better in live shows, but in albums... is a shit

how is possible that old times the bands sound better, like 80's time?, MAYBE the digital era shits on the bands?, in the past, in timo tolkki time, all the credit was to Mika jussila, this guys was looks like the master class of mastering... but now tolkkis samples are gone and mika jussila fall to the shit in his master why the sound is more original?

Really i feels that the last albums of stratovarius not have a good sound, in relation with the huge studios that matias, kotipelto and finnvox have. i think that one good home studio can do it close. I can told you one example. LAST PINK FLOYD ALBUM WAS RECORDED AND MASTERED IN A SHIP that is a RECORD STUDIO OF DAVID GILMOUR

IS THIS SHIP STUDIO https://www.videomuzic.eu/david-gilmour ... a/?lang=en

Ok the ship have pro tools and one huge table of mix but is a fucking ship!!

One slip 80's sound great, recorded in the ship, One slip re mixed in 2019 falls in shitty sound - the digital era and all the technology are fucking blow in pieces the music!!

80's Pink Floyd one slip

2019 Pink Floyd One slip fucked up , falling into the shit

whatS stratovarius think when put tons of money and listen his music fall into the shit??

:lol:

robocop

Post by robocop » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:29 am

Not going to go around in circles here. The thing I wanted to add was that modern metal drums have to have a clarity and bust through the mix. Like using samples to get consistent power. Old drum production I’m not even sure.

So Flavio, go buy all analog gear and analog tape if you want it to be 1987 still. :lol:

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:57 am

STRATOVARIUS SOUND HAVE ANALOG RACKS, OR DO YOU THINK THAT IS ALL DIGITAL? :lol:

do you see the mastering table of mika jussila? is all analog, using pro tools i think but is all analog :lol:

but the new tendence shit the bands, the old school sound better :D

there you have. all analog, and without the sampled tolkki is all a shit the same :lol:

Matias Kupiainen studio racks - analog i see :lol: