Whats your playing style?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
MikesiteX
Re: Whats your playing style?

Post by MikesiteX » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:47 pm

haha i don't suppose you're a bodom fan?

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:20 pm

I actually really like them. They're great music.

Just Alexi Laiho looks and sounds like an angry teenager, and bears a few too many physical similarities to Avril Lavigne :D

And CoB are simply not death metal.

But yeah, I like them.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:27 am

hehe you know whats funny though? i bought the new album today and the sticker on the cover says:

"Rock N Rollin power metal!"

WTF, idiots man.

ac666

Post by ac666 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:15 am

My playing style would be best classed as hodgepodge. It's kind of a blend of everything I like, which pretty much encapsulates elements of everything across the metal/rock spectrum.

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:58 pm

I play alot of neo-metal combined with power... My favorite songs to play is: Stratosphere, Black Sheep, Wolf and Raven, Find Your Own Voice and alot of other stuff... By-the-way I play the guitar

The City of Mice

Post by The City of Mice » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:11 am

More in the prog/neo-classical metal sound. Definite symphonic elements. I don't really like those detuned, "duh duh duh dum" style riffing and I'm not into the bluesy/rock n roll style either...

miditek

Styles

Post by miditek » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:07 am

My styles can vary depending upon the instrument that I'm playing.

On guitar, it varies between classic/blues rock, metal, and some neo-classical.

On bass, it's definitely prog/metal oriented, along with some swing/blues at times.

On keys, definitely more of a classical slant, particularly gothic and baroque type themes. I love big cathedral organ sounds, soundtrack type elements, ELP/Kraftwerk analog synth sounds, etc. sometimes with some "Kashmir" type Mellotron-esque strings mixed in.

Songwriting is also different- many of my friends/family have said it sounds like, "Dream Theater, Deep Purple, Nine Inch Nails Chili Peppers, (what the f???!!!), Focus, some Rising Force influences, and Q-ryche."

kilroq

Post by kilroq » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:00 am

My playing style varies dependant on which song I'm playing at the time. I like to play a whole bunch of different stuff. Metallica, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple (some), Evanesence, Nightwish, Iced Earth, Stratovarius (obviously), Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Randy Rhodes, Iron Maiden, Jeff Beck, and I like to play some classical stuff.

If it's not obvoius, I play guitar. And bass guitar too.

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:21 am

I played techno today!!! Maybe thinking of playing it live hahahaha

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:26 am

For piano of course classical. Also the songs I make on the piano are classical...Beethoven influences I'd say. But of course my music is not that difficult as Beethoven.

On the guitar...well I often play Iron Maiden, but I can't play the solos for I only play electric guitar since january and tried the winter before some chords with the acoustic guitar but didn't get to anything with it...so seriously playing since January -> no Maiden solos LOL
I also tried a bit Metallica (Seek and Destroy works approximately) and some riffs of Megadeth. like it ^^
The song I made on my own on the guitar rather reminds me a bit of In Flames. So Melodic Death Metal but still I don't play it fast enough, how it should be played, unfortunately. But I think Melodic Death Metal would be my favourite when I can play better.
Well, than techniques...I can't do sweap and I'm not good in tapping and I can't do the harmonics. (Rest of the techniques are okay most of the times) I like these notes between the tune, but I still need to practise to do this on higher tempo. You know what I mean, such things for example (riff from seek and destroy) :
--------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------
--------------------------5------------------------
----5-------7------7-----5-------7-----7-------
-------0-0----0-0----0-----0-0----00----0---------
I don't like too many powerchords in a song...as the punk bands use them...the whole song full of powerchords but I like them if there is a special rhythm like in some parts of hallowed be thy name.
Well, I also like using my left hand fast, because it has something in common with playing piano and I can profit from that. So I think maybe one day fast solos might be possible.
Solos...still Stratovarius - Paradise is one of the only solos I played so far and it's the most difficult so far. There was also Aika Multaa Muistot by Sentenced and The Chair by 69 Eyes and I think Man of Sorrow by Bruce Dickinson, but I didn't try more.

Now Bass Playing...
I hate using chords on the bass (like Steve Harris does) because I don't have the strength to put the fat strings down too long for the powerchords. So most of the times, for example in Fear of the dark, I play:

-----------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
---5---5-5-5-5-5-5-5------------------------------------
---------------------------6-----6-6-6-6-6-6-6-------------
instead of:

---7--------------------------------------------------------
---7-----------------------8------------------------------
---5---5-5-5-5-5-5-5----8--------------------------------
---------------------------6-----6-6-6-6-6-6-6-------------
I also don't appreciate things like these:

----------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
------7----7----7----7------------------------------
---5----5----5----5--------------------------------
For the same reason as for the powerchords.

What I like is making tiny tunes with the bass, like some little parts in the paradise song:

----------------------------
------------------------------
---------4-4------------------
--2-2-2-----4-4-6----------- or something like that
Or

----------------------------
--------6-----6--8-6-------------
-----8-----8-----------8-----
--6----------------------------- (think it was like this)
And then I like special rhythm types as in "Breath" by Breaking Benjamin (anyone who knows is? ), or a bit in All these things I hate by Bullet for my Valentine. Most of the standard rhythms I don't like that much, this:
(count the -- between to see the rhythm)
2----2----2--2--2----
or
2--2-2-2--2-2-2--2-2-2--2-2-
or even
-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 etc
It's boring.

Ähm, well this was quite a lot. I don't know if it was of any interest, but it was fun to write it. It's a nice topic.

---------------- edit -----------------------

:roll: forgot the singing

I think my voice is best for Bruce Dickinson Style. I tried others, too but this is the one which fits the best. Kotipelto is okay sometimes, but...I like the way to emphasize in Maiden songs more. When singing low it's a bit like HIM-Sentenced-Blaze Bayley-style but not that low LOL for I'm not masculine. But the pronounciation and everything becomes a bit like this, when I sing low. Now, that was it ^^
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
I looked for love in an empty world
but all I found was hate

Somebody

Post by Somebody » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:56 am

NeonVomit wrote:
MikesiteX wrote:well isn't children of bodom and skyfire death metal bands? or melodic death metal whatever hahaha they have awesome keys
CoB is NOT death metal. It's power metal with angry-teenager vocals.
They have said that they play extreme metal

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:32 am

Somebody wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
MikesiteX wrote:well isn't children of bodom and skyfire death metal bands? or melodic death metal whatever hahaha they have awesome keys
CoB is NOT death metal. It's power metal with angry-teenager vocals.
They have said that they play extreme metal
Yeah, well their old stuff was more power metalish. I did make that post in 2005 :D
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!