Helloween Guitarrists

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Locked

Who's the best Helloween Guitarrist of all times

Kai Hansen
33
53%
Michael Weikath
11
18%
Roland Grapow
8
13%
Sascha Gerstner
10
16%
 
Total votes: 62

User avatar
MAJINDIEGO
Sr. Member
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:03 am
Location: Somewhere Out in Space
Contact:

Helloween Guitarrists

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:02 pm

So, let's see who's the greatest Helloween Guitarrist of all times...
Easy choice for me...Kai Hansen with his geniality and creativity wins easily.
What about you guys?
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

Gnosis_and_Life
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:41 am
Location: Avantasia :)

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Gnosis_and_Life » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:29 pm

KAI HANSEN of course! Master, not only on guitar playing, but in composing and singing too! :twisted:
Menetät terveytesi lähitulevaisuudessa, jos ryyppäät niin paljon.

Spacecake
Jr. Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Spacecake » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:24 am

Umm... how am I supposed to answer using that list? ???

But the best guitarist is Weiki. I like his style, there are a lot rock influences to it. I like his sound too. Grapow had (and still has) too flat sound...

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Mormegil » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:56 pm

Technically Roland Grapow for sure, but I still prefer Michael Weikath's playing.
Gnosis_and_Life wrote:KAI HANSEN of course! Master, not only on guitar playing, but in composing and singing too! :twisted:
...And in stealing lyrics and melodies from Judas Priest. No matter what others say, I'm quite happy Hansen isn't in the band anymore.

User avatar
Elazul
Sr. Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:39 pm
Location: Germania

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Elazul » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Kai Hansen and Michael Weikath !

I only say Keeper 1 & Keeper 2 8)

User avatar
Shurik
Sr. Member
Posts: 3774
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:17 am
Location: Satellite Of Love
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Shurik » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:50 pm

Kai Hansen
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

User avatar
MAJINDIEGO
Sr. Member
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:03 am
Location: Somewhere Out in Space
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:29 pm

Mormegil wrote:Technically Roland Grapow for sure, but I still prefer Michael Weikath's playing.
Gnosis_and_Life wrote:KAI HANSEN of course! Master, not only on guitar playing, but in composing and singing too! :twisted:
...And in stealing lyrics and melodies from Judas Priest. No matter what others say, I'm quite happy Hansen isn't in the band anymore.
I can't believe you bought that shit.....
:roll: :roll: :roll:
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

Gnosis_and_Life
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:41 am
Location: Avantasia :)

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Gnosis_and_Life » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:15 am

Mormegil wrote:
Gnosis_and_Life wrote:KAI HANSEN of course! Master, not only on guitar playing, but in composing and singing too! :twisted:
...And in stealing lyrics and melodies from Judas Priest. No matter what others say, I'm quite happy Hansen isn't in the band anymore.
Well, I'm quite happy too, I'd say, really happy, because we have Gamma Ray now! :twisted:

Long live Hansen!
Menetät terveytesi lähitulevaisuudessa, jos ryyppäät niin paljon.

User avatar
tkbdadsgshim
Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:12 am
Location: mexico city

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by tkbdadsgshim » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:32 am

i'd prefer weiki , he's sooooo good , i like a lot he's stile :D :D :D
"life can be good with the right people" - andi deris

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Mormegil » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:20 pm

MAJINDIEGO wrote:
Mormegil wrote:Technically Roland Grapow for sure, but I still prefer Michael Weikath's playing.
Gnosis_and_Life wrote:KAI HANSEN of course! Master, not only on guitar playing, but in composing and singing too! :twisted:
...And in stealing lyrics and melodies from Judas Priest. No matter what others say, I'm quite happy Hansen isn't in the band anymore.
I can't believe you bought that shit.....
:roll: :roll: :roll:
.........what?
Just listen Judas Priest and notice it youself. (Victim Of Fate's intro = Breaking The Law's intro (that can't be accident), Heart Of The Unicorn's vocal lines = Painkiller's vocal lines etc, etc. Also many similarities to other bands).

User avatar
MAJINDIEGO
Sr. Member
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:03 am
Location: Somewhere Out in Space
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:51 pm

If you think like that, all bands have some stuff from the others...c´mon...anyway, you are condemning a whole masterpiece song because of the intro, that doesn´t last even 5 seconds...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Mormegil » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:30 pm

But Hansen seems to stole stuff directly and on purpose without even adding anything own into it.
And don't get me wrong, I like Victim Of Fate a lot, especially Michael Kiske -version on The Best The Rest The Rare. I just told that the intro (which is partly also repeated during the chorus, so it's not only 5 seconds) is plagiarized. ;)
Of course Hansen has done some very kick ass songs to Helloween, like Halloween, Twilight Of The Gods and Murderer, but somehow I've always liked for exaple Weikath's songs much better.

User avatar
Alexi
Sr. Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:22 pm

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Alexi » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:08 pm

Id say weiki with his malboros. :D

gon
Sr. Member
Posts: 13069
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:46 pm
Location: Estepona-Málaga-ESPAÑA!!!

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by gon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:12 pm

Weiki.
SE EGOISTA Y HAZ FELIZ A LOS TUYOS SIENDO FELIZ TÚ.

User avatar
Tetsuo
Member
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:45 am

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Tetsuo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:43 am

I went for Kai but I hesitated a lot between him and Roland...the guy is a kickass guitar player! And has anybody heard him sing on the High Live DVD...he's so good...

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Babylon » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:03 am

gon wrote:Weiki.
Hell yes

User avatar
StratoRico
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:24 pm

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by StratoRico » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:11 pm

i don't like too much the style of making solos of helloween guitarists,but i think that the best is Roland Grapow.

i would have said kai hansen,but in terms of composition.
I think he's a good guitar player,but not a monster like Romeo,Tolkki,Loureiro or Petrucci...
Make the best out of your dreams.
They're the world where you are free

User avatar
Florian
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Florian » Fri May 22, 2009 11:33 pm

This topic is quite old but I can't help talking on threads about my favorite band.
I voted for Kai Hansen who is still my favorite. Roland Grapow is the best technically but I love Kai's songs like March Of Time, I Want Out, Halloween and more. I like Weiki, he often writes good songs, even if he's a little bit grumpy :D And finally, I don't really like Sascha Gerstner, he wrote a few good songs, but we must wait to say more about him.

So finally Kai is still my favorite, but I'm a little disapointed about the 3 last Gamma Ray albums.

User avatar
NeverendingAbyss
Sr. Member
Posts: 4793
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Betty White will outlive the queen.

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat May 23, 2009 12:07 am

It's a bit tough, but KAI!
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:53 am

I have to say Grapow.

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Babylon » Sat May 23, 2009 3:17 am

Florian wrote: And finally, I don't really like Sascha Gerstner, he wrote a few good songs, but we must wait to say more about him.
I think Sascha is actually pretty good, especially live.

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by hiro23 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:16 am

This one is way too hard, I love all the guitarists in helloween and I really can't choose.

I think each guitarist worked or works for each era they were in.
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
Florian
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Florian » Sat May 23, 2009 8:57 am

Babylon wrote:
Florian wrote: And finally, I don't really like Sascha Gerstner, he wrote a few good songs, but we must wait to say more about him.
I think Sascha is actually pretty good, especially live.
He is very good technically, almost as good as Roland, but I think Sascha must write more songs to show what he can do. He wrote an excellent song, The Invisible Man, so I think he can write more songs like this.

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Florian wrote:
Babylon wrote:
Florian wrote: And finally, I don't really like Sascha Gerstner, he wrote a few good songs, but we must wait to say more about him.
I think Sascha is actually pretty good, especially live.
He is very good technically, almost as good as Roland, but I think Sascha must write more songs to show what he can do. He wrote an excellent song, The Invisible Man, so I think he can write more songs like this.
He wrote some great stuff on the Gambling Album.

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Babylon » Sat May 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Florian wrote:
Babylon wrote:
Florian wrote: And finally, I don't really like Sascha Gerstner, he wrote a few good songs, but we must wait to say more about him.
I think Sascha is actually pretty good, especially live.
He is very good technically, almost as good as Roland, but I think Sascha must write more songs to show what he can do. He wrote an excellent song, The Invisible Man, so I think he can write more songs like this.
He wrote some great stuff on the Gambling Album.
Oh yea, Dreambound's become one of my favorite Helloween songs ever.

User avatar
Polaris
Sr. Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: In the Door of your Heart

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Polaris » Sat May 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Kai Hansen is a great composer but as guitarrist Roland was the best!

User avatar
stratoplayer
Sr. Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: Monterrey, Mexico

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by stratoplayer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Polaris wrote:Kai Hansen is a great composer but as guitarrist Roland was the best!
I like Saschas sound more, and he is more creative in his solos. Though Weiki (along with Grosskopf) is the soul of Helloween
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:31 pm

stratoplayer wrote:
Polaris wrote:Kai Hansen is a great composer but as guitarrist Roland was the best!
I like Saschas sound more, and he is more creative in his solos. Though Weiki (along with Grosskopf) is the soul of Helloween
Those 2 are also the last original members (If you leave out the time when the band was called Secund Hell, Gentry and so on)

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:06 pm

Helloween like many other bands I love I tend to think of in era's, each one being very good in a different way, there's the Kai hansen era 1985-1989,The commercial era 1989-1994,The Roland Grapow and Uli Kusch era(I know Roland came in before this however I believe this is the era he really showed us what he was made of)1994-2001, and finally the current era 2003-????
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:33 am

wtf was the person thinking who said victom of fate was the riff from breaking the law? The guitar playing in those two riffs is definitly not the same.

Locked