Post samples of your playing!

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
NeonVomit
Post samples of your playing!

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:40 am

So many musicians... post a little sample of your playing on here, so we can all share! Doesn't have to be a solo or anything flashy, just something that encapsulates your style.

I currently don't have anything to post, I'll record something tomorrow I guess and then convert it to Mp3 and then stick it on here.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Jack

Re: Post samples of your playing!

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:25 am

I would, but, I have nowhere to host. Someone should find a domain for me, 'cause i'm just too god damned lazy to look!!!

ac666

Post by ac666 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:48 am

Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment. Besides, I'm not so sure how many Strato fans would actually like my band's style... it's a little :evil:

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:58 pm

Jack wrote:I would, but, I have nowhere to host. Someone should find a domain for me, 'cause i'm just too god damned lazy to look!!!
www.yousendit.com

www.megaupload.com

save the links there, lazeman! 8)
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:12 pm

ac666 wrote:Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment. Besides, I'm not so sure how many Strato fans would actually like my band's style... it's a little :evil:
You'd be surprised what many Stratofans listen to. Just look at my avatar, for example.

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:03 pm

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=221C ... 1Z0E3ZOS1Q

Already posted that on other thread it's just too funny for me :lol: It's a homemade record don't expect too much

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:12 pm

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=393J ... 0025RXWEFA

Led Zeppelins Rock'n'roll with my band some time ago

try listening the guitar solo there's a second guitar in the backgound I made, I think it sounds very real

ac666

Post by ac666 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:51 am

NeonVomit wrote:
ac666 wrote:Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment. Besides, I'm not so sure how many Strato fans would actually like my band's style... it's a little :evil:
You'd be surprised what many Stratofans listen to. Just look at my avatar, for example.
Yeah, you're right. I mean after all, I'm here too and I have an extensive black metal collection. I guess I just (stupidly) associated Stratofans with the guy who introduced me to them who is very much a 'POWER METAL OR DIE!!!' kind of guy.

Well, when I get something recorded I'll post it. We've got 3 songs written and a few more still developing for our first full length. If I had to pick a label, I guess we could be called progressive black metal.

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:22 am

I love it how everyone adds "progressive" to describe their stuff. Soon we're gonna have progressive chart pop and even progressive blues. Progressive roots! Yo!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:26 pm

Okay, so here's my offering. I apologise for the crap sound quality (due to my lack of proper recording equipment) but here are two small tapping pieces.

http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3A7L ... PLOFIPO5RJ

This is a piece called '2-string tapping' (no, I'm not very original at the moment) and it's all tapped on the G and C string of the bass. I use it a lot as a warm up, and that's what I was doing while recording this (hence the mistakes here and there, but I don't really care)

http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1F6Q ... V56ZZF457F

This is called 'Baby Octapus' and it's basically called that because it takes all 8 fingers to play it. I ripped it off of Victor Wooten's live dvd. He plays it much better than I do here.

Anyways, theres a few slip ups and errors here and there, I'm still hungover from last night and I havn't played in a few days, so this is true, cold, unwarmed up NeonVomit playing.

I'll post something again in a few days when I'm properly warmed up.

ac666

Post by ac666 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:39 am

Jaakko wrote:I love it how everyone adds "progressive" to describe their stuff. Soon we're gonna have progressive chart pop and even progressive blues. Progressive roots! Yo!
Erm, we draw our primary influences from progressive music and black metal, so what else would you call it? We don't just throw it in to sound cool as you seem to infer.

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:14 am

nice stuff neonvomit! That's a 6 string bass right?

how did you record it? did you put a mic in front of the speaker (that I was told is most recomended for guitarrist/bassists) or plugged the speaker to the pc?

other thing I've learned is to put the mic volume a bit lower to avoid that background noise

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:10 am

Miguel_Ricardo wrote:nice stuff neonvomit! That's a 6 string bass right?

how did you record it? did you put a mic in front of the speaker (that I was told is most recomended for guitarrist/bassists) or plugged the speaker to the pc?

other thing I've learned is to put the mic volume a bit lower to avoid that background noise
Yeah, six stringer here. Um, it's actually just the crappy built-in speaker on my laptop, my amp is on the other side of the room :D Hence the awful sound

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:33 am

ac666 wrote:Erm, we draw our primary influences from progressive music and black metal, so what else would you call it? We don't just throw it in to sound cool as you seem to infer.
So if I hear someone playing original music and I copy them, I can call my copied version original? Great, my problems are solved!

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:29 pm

StragOvariuS wrote:
Jack wrote:I would, but, I have nowhere to host. Someone should find a domain for me, 'cause i'm just too god damned lazy to look!!!
www.yousendit.com

www.megaupload.com

save the links there, lazeman! 8)
Thank you. Give me a moment to record something.

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:11 pm

Jaakko wrote:
ac666 wrote:Erm, we draw our primary influences from progressive music and black metal, so what else would you call it? We don't just throw it in to sound cool as you seem to infer.
So if I hear someone playing original music and I copy them, I can call my copied version original? Great, my problems are solved!
hey calm down!!!!!!

anyways influences is not copying.........

khamael

Post by khamael » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:41 pm

Yeah, you are right Miguel...

here some thoughts...from our Jens about the argument.
Who's the copy and who's the original?
The accusation that some project/group/artist is a "copy" or "clone" is quite common. Basically, the short answer is that as long as the music is in a 12-tone well-tempered scale, everyne copies everyone, because we keep using the same 12 notes, over and over. I could say; Blackmore took the 'G' from the first note of Beethoven's 5th, the 'Bb' from the 4th note of JSB's "musical offering", the 'C' from the ending chord of 'Wohltemperiertes Klavier #1", and so on, and made the riff for "Smoke on the Water"..
If you're the type of nit-picker that isn't satisfied with this argument... well first off, you'd better realise that any theories you put forth on the subject will probably be utterly wrong. And that any opinion on "who copied who" depends on who's the true originator of a concept. Did A steal it from B who in his turn stole if from C? Or did both A and B steal it from C? If so, and if C is somebody you never even heard of, should A somehow get any 'credit' for stealing it first?

In my opinion this whole discussion becomes quite meaningless at this point, but I'll follow a thought I have at the moment at least, because if you want to claim to see any such "lineages" of idea theft, you had better show that you're very familiar with many styles of music.

A style of music is a little bit like many other things in the world — it changes depending on how close you are to the subject. It is sort of like comparing two human beings — if you see them from a kilometer away, they might seem very similar, but the closer you get, the more differences you can see. And if you get close enough to talk and interact, you can determine a lot of differences. (But from 1000 meters, even Darth Vader and Jesus would look pretty much the same to the unaided eye. Well, provided they didn't have clothes on I guess. I picture Jesus as usually walking around in a white sheet, just like in "Life of Brian". And Darth, as we all know, has some sort of black plastic outfit.)

This goes for music as well. The closer you scrutinize a style, a piece, or someone's life work, the better you will be at understanding differences, influences, and the like. And even if you're very familiar with one style that you like, when confronted with something different it can be like you're a kilometer away. For instance, a Jazz fanatic might be shocked at the metal dude who thinks Miles Davis and Kenny G sound about the same. The metal fanatic scoffs at the blues guy that says "Mindcrime" era Queensryche sounds pretty much like late Judas Priest. And the opera guy says all blues sounds the same, which makes the blues guy a bit bemused, but to him on the other hand Wagner sounds similar to Rossini or even Purcell — it's all a bunch of people screaming on top of their lungs over orchestral music. *

OK, so that's the "ability to differentate between sub-styles of music depends on familiarity" discussion. Whew, I'm not sure where that tangent headed off into actually. Anyway, now on to lines of influence; it at least seems like a remote possibility that:

Yngwie copied JSB, Uli, Eddie, Paganini, me, Allan, and a little bit of Ritchie, and added a lot of his own stuff.

I copied JSB, John Lord, Ritchie, Yngwie, Eddie Jobson, Allan, and a little bit of Zappa, and added a lot of my own stuff.

Tolkki copied JSB, Ritchie, Iron Maiden, Yngwie, Queensryche, Helloween, and a little bit of ABBA, and added a lot of his own stuff.

JSB himself copied Buxtehude, Albinoni and other contemporaries, and added a lot of his own stuff.

But as stated previously, you'd have to be really familiar with the music to sort out which conceptual bits were lifted, and which were "his own stuff", and how much of each is present.

What the hell, none of this stuff is making any sense!! I type and type and I can't get to the point. I've got to cut down on the coffee..

Jens.

ac666

Post by ac666 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:56 am

Jaakko wrote:
So you can make that judgement without hearing our music. Strato are clearly influenced by Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden and Queesnryche, does that make them copies of the original bands? Hell no. Sorry, but you come across as a childish asshole who needs to grow up.

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:15 pm

ac666 wrote: So you can make that judgement without hearing our music.
All I said is I don't like it when everyone goes about "prog", it's just as ridiculous as these "melodic death metal" bands who add the word "melodic" just in case everyone wouldn't otherwise notice that there are a few melodic lines hidden somewhere in the noise. It's still usually far from being melodic music and no listener could describe it as such. Same goes for anything musicians use to describe their stuff, just play it and forget the damn genres, all right?

And about personal attacks, read the forum rules, thank you.

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:39 pm

Fireeeeeeeeeeeeee

chill out! let's just play&post and wait someone says "hey I love how play! I want to be like you when I grow up!" that's the idea of this thread!!

anyways

nobody said nothing about me

:cry:

I guess I suck :oops:

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:20 am

You'll have to wait for mine. I'm paying a well known drummer to do my demo. So I can start with the guitar recordings. Sequencing is too much of a hassle for a serious demo so I decided to fork out the money.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:42 am

Holy Light wrote:You'll have to wait for mine. I'm paying a well known drummer to do my demo. So I can start with the guitar recordings. Sequencing is too much of a hassle for a serious demo so I decided to fork out the money.
Just record something and stick it on heh. Drum machine, unaccompanied, whatever. Hell, I havn't uploaded demos, I just stuck a couple of bad-quality mp3's I recorded in my room with my pc mic :D

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:11 am

(I'm almost done I swear)

khamael

Post by khamael » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:08 am

an impro-solo on a backingtrack i made!

BLEAH :lol:

Aresius

Post by Aresius » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:29 pm

Miguel_Ricardo wrote:Fireeeeeeeeeeeeee

chill out! let's just play&post and wait someone says "hey I love how play! I want to be like you when I grow up!" that's the idea of this thread!!

anyways

nobody said nothing about me

:cry:

I guess I suck :oops:
I heard some stuff and its amazing. In what part of buenos aires do you live?

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:46 pm

in the middle of the City of Fury, Palermo

do you have msn? send me a pm

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3GN9 ... RH4NF2CD9L

Right, here's a recording of my band Lacrima, (chick singer, sax player, standard metal setup). Her monitor stopped working so she gets a bit off key here and there, but manages admirably for that situation. I have a bass solo towards the end.

This is a song I wrote, called 'Forsaken'.

Let me know what you think!

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:18 am

this is a bad sample, almost embarrasing! oh well, thats what i get for not practcing these last few weeks hehe

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1LXS ... KJBLRG9EV1

AgentC

Post by AgentC » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:01 am

This is not very representative but I nevertheless wanted to share this weird clip recorded in 1998:
http://agentsofmetal.free.fr/caca/dickrise.mp3

It's a partial "Will the Sun Rise" covered with changed lyrics + 2 rhythm guitars. Drums and bass programmed. Apologies for horrible soundquality, it was originally a Real Audio file I unearthed from one backup CDR.

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:38 am

I'll post again the ones that got deleted, this time they'll remain

http://www.freewebs.com/miguel_ricardo/Power Rangers.mp3

http://www.freewebs.com/miguel_ricardo/07-Rock n' roll.mp3

This is the most pop-like thingie I have with my band :lol: :lol: (live recorded)

http://www.seras-hardrock.com.ar/05-Sinapsis.mp3

This one is from a backtrack I downloaded, I only made the leads.

http://www.freewebs.com/miguel_ricardo/ ... icardo.mp3

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I having trouble of hell making the hyperlinks to work.. but I can't... so ... copy paste them... sorry bout that