black metal

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Post Reply
User avatar
doc_holliday
Sr. Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:28 am
Location: montreal, canada

black metal

Post by doc_holliday » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 pm

I don't understand why some people consider this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Q7TlcXLJ0

User avatar
Kmasters
Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:47 pm

Re: black metal

Post by Kmasters » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:04 am

doc_holliday wrote:I don't understand why some people consider this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Q7TlcXLJ0
When Ignorance attacks feat doc_holliday :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
adrian9
Sr. Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: VENEZUELA!!!

Re: black metal

Post by adrian9 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:26 am

to be honest I understand what doc means, I dont relate to this kind of music, I found it hard to, at the same time, on the other side of the spectrum there is a lot of latin ¨music¨ that most relate to and enjoy but I think is just no sense noise, to me of course is something subjective, but at the same time is about peoples reaction to the music, while I absolute hate reggaeton most people enjoy the dance and have a good time, this black metalers...what are they all about? who hate the most ? people in the first world have too much free time in their hands.
A9

User avatar
doc_holliday
Sr. Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:28 am
Location: montreal, canada

Re: black metal

Post by doc_holliday » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:36 pm

and then you have this piece of comedy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w

edit: (it's not comedy. they're serious)

User avatar
rikkertje
Sr. Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:14 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: black metal

Post by rikkertje » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:01 pm

doc_holliday wrote:I don't understand why some people consider this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Q7TlcXLJ0
Terrible. My god.

User avatar
adrian9
Sr. Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: VENEZUELA!!!

Re: black metal

Post by adrian9 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:53 am

doc_holliday wrote:and then you have this piece of comedy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w

edit: (it's not comedy. they're serious)
whats even more unbelieveable is that this video among others from the same period are considered the blueprint for other bands in the same kind of music.
is beyond me all of this.
way beyond.
A9

User avatar
NeverendingAbyss
Sr. Member
Posts: 4555
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Epstein didn't kill himself

Re: black metal

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:52 am

Great, now that I watched it it's on my youtube feed. :(

User avatar
Equinox
Sr. Member
Posts: 3417
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 am
Location: Denver USA

Re: black metal

Post by Equinox » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:22 pm

It comes down to different tastes. And like it has been mentioned, it is all subjective.

Everyone's palate in music is varied and is built upon their social upbringing and life experiences.

In my case, I am the biggest Power Metal fan but I have been slowly (through the years) been introducing more and more Black Metal into my playlist. Now I listen to Freedom Call directly followed by Sear Bliss. Both are excellent artists, both are just different colors of the spectrum.

I have always compared heavy metal to wine. First time you try it you're all disgusted, but the more you drink it, the more you appreciate it. Perhaps you don't like that the 2003 vintage or find the 2007 to be too sour or taste too oaky, but you cannot ignore that it is just your or perhaps that day. Who knows if in 5 years you'll try it and find it to be an other-worldly experience?

Besides, I am pretty sure that whatever you listen to is despised by the majority of your countrymen (original country that is) Doc. In general, the majority of the population considers what we listen to to be non-sense.

However, since we (heavy metallers) have been submitted to this narrow mentality for as long as the genre has existed, we should be in the vanguard of a more accepting attitude. Specially for sub-genres of that music that unites us so much.

Or were you just trolling?

***Immortal rocks, by the way. :D
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

User avatar
doc_holliday
Sr. Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:28 am
Location: montreal, canada

Re: black metal

Post by doc_holliday » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:35 am

I don't think the majority of my countrymen despise Stratovarius. I made my mom listen to Black Diamond, and she liked it, and my mom doesn't have much experience in western music.

About your wine argument, I think music in general is like wine. But I think that you need to drink a lot of Immortal to enjoy it, compared to other more mainstream music.

And no, I wasn't trolling lol. I rarely troll

User avatar
Equinox
Sr. Member
Posts: 3417
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 am
Location: Denver USA

Re: black metal

Post by Equinox » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:23 pm

doc_holliday wrote:I don't think the majority of my countrymen despise Stratovarius. I made my mom listen to Black Diamond, and she liked it, and my mom doesn't have much experience in western music.

About your wine argument, I think music in general is like wine. But I think that you need to drink a lot of Immortal to enjoy it, compared to other more mainstream music.

And no, I wasn't trolling lol. I rarely troll
I'm fairly confident the majority doesn't listen to metal. But Bhangra, punjabi or some sort of local music.

Yes, I agree, it does take a while for one to acquire a taste for black metal. But black metal is not mainstream so it makes perfect sense. However, the fact that BM is not mainstream doesn't remove the validity, quality or musicality of BM (which was your argument, I believe)

BTW have you see Kobra And The Lotus live yet? Dying for them to come down from Canada.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

User avatar
Southern_Cross
Sr. Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: black metal

Post by Southern_Cross » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:37 pm

doc_holliday wrote:I don't understand why some people consider this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Q7TlcXLJ0
I can understand why you think that way
it's a toleration thing, you gotta let it either grow on you or not

User avatar
doc_holliday
Sr. Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:28 am
Location: montreal, canada

Re: black metal

Post by doc_holliday » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Equinox wrote:However, the fact that BM is not mainstream doesn't remove the validity, quality or musicality of BM (which was your argument, I believe).
to me, the sound of BM has no musicality, because it seems that the musician is just mindlessly hitting on his instrument repetitively. Especially the song I put as an example.

and the singing sucks too. It seems to me there are no notes. you even have more notes in rap singing

User avatar
adrian9
Sr. Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: VENEZUELA!!!

Re: black metal

Post by adrian9 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:44 am

doc_holliday wrote:
Equinox wrote:However, the fact that BM is not mainstream doesn't remove the validity, quality or musicality of BM (which was your argument, I believe).
to me, the sound of BM has no musicality, because it seems that the musician is just mindlessly hitting on his instrument repetitively. Especially the song I put as an example.

and the singing sucks too. It seems to me there are no notes. you even have more notes in rap singing
x2, you are the doc, doc.
Image
A9

User avatar
Equinox
Sr. Member
Posts: 3417
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 am
Location: Denver USA

Re: black metal

Post by Equinox » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:19 am

doc_holliday wrote:
Equinox wrote:However, the fact that BM is not mainstream doesn't remove the validity, quality or musicality of BM (which was your argument, I believe).
to me, the sound of BM has no musicality, because it seems that the musician is just mindlessly hitting on his instrument repetitively. Especially the song I put as an example.

and the singing sucks too. It seems to me there are no notes. you even have more notes in rap singing
You simply don't have the ear for it. The millions of fans that enjoy would give you details of each note and chord. And BM is pretty technical, the fact you think it is only "mindlessly hitting instrument" shows a bit of ignorance, check out BM videos and you will see.

Anyway, don't pound on it now, because who knows if you will develop a taste for it later on.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

User avatar
adrian9
Sr. Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: VENEZUELA!!!

Re: black metal

Post by adrian9 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:07 am

Equinox wrote:The millions of fans...
Millions? like in ¨these bands sell millions of records!¨...dude... :lol:
A9

User avatar
Equinox
Sr. Member
Posts: 3417
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 am
Location: Denver USA

Re: black metal

Post by Equinox » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:31 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Equinox wrote:The millions of fans...
Millions? like in ¨these bands sell millions of records!¨...dude... :lol:
Never said "millions that buy records". But think about it, there have to be at least 2 million people that like BM, lol.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

User avatar
adrian9
Sr. Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: VENEZUELA!!!

Re: black metal

Post by adrian9 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:37 am

Equinox wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Equinox wrote:The millions of fans...
Millions? like in ¨these bands sell millions of records!¨...dude... :lol:
Never said "millions that buy records". But think about it, there have to be at least 2 million people that like BM, lol.
of course not, everybody knows that when you love some kind of music you dont buy the albums, thats the rule, you dont love Iron Maiden and buy the new record they just released , of course not.
and im in this forum because i dont buy strato records, as everybody else, thats for sure.
if only there were some kind of way to measure how many fans any kind of music/artist has....mmm:?:
Ill be surprised if there were more than hundreds, hardcore , loving fans of this music.
is such an obscure thing that it almost belong just to nordic countries
A9

User avatar
fuck
Sr. Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:56 am

Re: black metal

Post by fuck » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:17 pm

LOL at you if you've never listened to the masterpiece that is Dimmu's puritanical. :lol:

User avatar
Equinox
Sr. Member
Posts: 3417
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 am
Location: Denver USA

Re: black metal

Post by Equinox » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:17 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Equinox wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Equinox wrote:The millions of fans...
Millions? like in ¨these bands sell millions of records!¨...dude... :lol:
Never said "millions that buy records". But think about it, there have to be at least 2 million people that like BM, lol.
of course not, everybody knows that when you love some kind of music you dont buy the albums, thats the rule, you dont love Iron Maiden and buy the new record they just released , of course not.
and im in this forum because i dont buy strato records, as everybody else, thats for sure.
if only there were some kind of way to measure how many fans any kind of music/artist has....mmm:?:
Ill be surprised if there were more than hundreds, hardcore , loving fans of this music.
is such an obscure thing that it almost belong just to nordic countries
Ehhh?
There are a lot of spanish-speaking countries that fervently follow BM. I should know, my island is 80% BM and 20% rest (Estimates)

@f*ck: Or Summoning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGevn0XUwk

I mean, that stuff is just pure awesomeness.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

User avatar
doc_holliday
Sr. Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:28 am
Location: montreal, canada

Re: black metal

Post by doc_holliday » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:08 am

Equinox wrote: @f*ck: Or Summoning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGevn0XUwk
I enjoyed this song actually, except for the singing. I love the music. If it had normal singing, it would be awesome

User avatar
doc_holliday
Sr. Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:28 am
Location: montreal, canada

Re: black metal

Post by doc_holliday » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:45 pm


Post Reply