Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
User avatar
SentineLEX
Sr. Member
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 am
Location: Seattle, United States

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by SentineLEX » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:59 am

First listen. Gorgeous art and great production. Not sure how I'd rank it yet. My tastes are Trinity > In Paradisum > Land of New Hope, and I'd probably put this one on either side of the Symfonia album.

All in all good, not sure if I'd call it great yet.

User avatar
Mr Hadder
Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Mr Hadder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:01 pm

SentineLEX wrote:
Mr Hadder wrote:The album has leaked. I quite liked it!
Where'd you find the leak?
this website is pretty useful and updated https://en.metal-tracker.com/torrents/search.html sorry for taking too long to reply

User avatar
SentineLEX
Sr. Member
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 am
Location: Seattle, United States

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by SentineLEX » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Mr Hadder wrote:
SentineLEX wrote:
Mr Hadder wrote:The album has leaked. I quite liked it!
Where'd you find the leak?
this website is pretty useful and updated https://en.metal-tracker.com/torrents/search.html sorry for taking too long to reply
No worries. I found it on TPB a while back.

Empathica1928
Sr. Member
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:42 pm

I am hearing rumors from people within the business that Timo barely had anything to do with Return to Eden. Sounds like it's Revolution Renaissance all over again. Again, just rumors, but... wouldn't surprise me.

User avatar
SentineLEX
Sr. Member
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 am
Location: Seattle, United States

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by SentineLEX » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 am

Empathica1928 wrote:I am hearing rumors from people within the business that Timo barely had anything to do with Return to Eden. Sounds like it's Revolution Renaissance all over again. Again, just rumors, but... wouldn't surprise me.
Could be, but it sounds enough like him that I can't take those rumors too too seriously.

Pancio
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 am
Location: Reggio Emilia, Italy

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Pancio » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:29 am

Hi guys,

Once again sorry for the delay but I'm very busy with work and stuff.

That said, just to be clear and in response, I'm not happy at all if the album is not written, produced, mixed, recorded and/or played by Tolkki itself, I'll be furious because it's a sort of "misleading advertising", a dirty way to sell easier shitty music.
But I just don't care that much 'bout the label as long as the music is good and, I have to ammit that: Promises was a good single, and it remind me of Strato, a lot.

The actual problem with the album? It's full of filler tracks and one of the worst produced album ever heard from a "big" company along with Avalon II.
In Avalon II the problem was everything. Man, that album was shit!
About Avalon III the problem is the bouncing of the solos, just horrible, and the lack of precision in guitar playing is obscene.
There's a song, "Give me Hope", completely messed up during the solo part: wrong timing and completely out of tune.
Other problems are the solos from other songs, copypasted and cutted without fading or correction, lame.
But I like some of the Easter Eggs like the riff from Tomorrow or the song Now and Forever, a HHaL clone.

I rate this album 5/10 just for the production errors, the poor writing (the ballad sucks) and Anneke voice, horrible and painful to hear with that nasal tone.

About the rest I'm saddened to inform you that the solos on this album are not from Tolkki nor the production or the writing.
Tolkki recorded a couple of solos and helped with hints, but the whole album is from Lonobile, a bland copy of Tolkki style.
Tolkki wasn't able to create anything and Frontiers decided to close as soon as possible their contract with a dead musician and, in fact, Tolkki has left Frontiers forever, blaming them for lack of support and the same old story.

That's it, now you know the truth.

Well, let's see what will come; hope Timo gets better and stop posting shit on his Facebook, he need to think to the tour or he'll be out forever.

User avatar
Kmasters
Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:47 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Kmasters » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:45 pm

Pancio wrote:Hi guys,

Once again sorry for the delay but I'm very busy with work and stuff.

That said, just to be clear and in response, I'm not happy at all if the album is not written, produced, mixed, recorded and/or played by Tolkki itself, I'll be furious because it's a sort of "misleading advertising", a dirty way to sell easier shitty music.
But I just don't care that much 'bout the label as long as the music is good and, I have to ammit that: Promises was a good single, and it remind me of Strato, a lot.

The actual problem with the album? It's full of filler tracks and one of the worst produced album ever heard from a "big" company along with Avalon II.
In Avalon II the problem was everything. Man, that album was shit!
About Avalon III the problem is the bouncing of the solos, just horrible, and the lack of precision in guitar playing is obscene.
There's a song, "Give me Hope", completely messed up during the solo part: wrong timing and completely out of tune.
Other problems are the solos from other songs, copypasted and cutted without fading or correction, lame.
But I like some of the Easter Eggs like the riff from Tomorrow or the song Now and Forever, a HHaL clone.

I rate this album 5/10 just for the production errors, the poor writing (the ballad sucks) and Anneke voice, horrible and painful to hear with that nasal tone.

About the rest I'm saddened to inform you that the solos on this album are not from Tolkki nor the production or the writing.
Tolkki recorded a couple of solos and helped with hints, but the whole album is from Lonobile, a bland copy of Tolkki style.
Tolkki wasn't able to create anything and Frontiers decided to close as soon as possible their contract with a dead musician and, in fact, Tolkki has left Frontiers forever, blaming them for lack of support and the same old story.

That's it, now you know the truth.

Well, let's see what will come; hope Timo gets better and stop posting shit on his Facebook, he need to think to the tour or he'll be out forever.
At This point i don't give a flying F.ck about what u say if the album was written and played by someone else besides TT coulnd't care less. Tolkki is back is Active is Healthy is in good terms with the whole Stratovarius band he's going on tour overall he is Happy and that's what it matters if you don't like the album well Fuck you very much for the comments and move on mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pancio
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 am
Location: Reggio Emilia, Italy

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Pancio » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:35 am

Kmasters wrote:
Pancio wrote:Hi guys,

Once again sorry for the delay but I'm very busy with work and stuff.

That said, just to be clear and in response, I'm not happy at all if the album is not written, produced, mixed, recorded and/or played by Tolkki itself, I'll be furious because it's a sort of "misleading advertising", a dirty way to sell easier shitty music.
But I just don't care that much 'bout the label as long as the music is good and, I have to ammit that: Promises was a good single, and it remind me of Strato, a lot.

The actual problem with the album? It's full of filler tracks and one of the worst produced album ever heard from a "big" company along with Avalon II.
In Avalon II the problem was everything. Man, that album was shit!
About Avalon III the problem is the bouncing of the solos, just horrible, and the lack of precision in guitar playing is obscene.
There's a song, "Give me Hope", completely messed up during the solo part: wrong timing and completely out of tune.
Other problems are the solos from other songs, copypasted and cutted without fading or correction, lame.
But I like some of the Easter Eggs like the riff from Tomorrow or the song Now and Forever, a HHaL clone.

I rate this album 5/10 just for the production errors, the poor writing (the ballad sucks) and Anneke voice, horrible and painful to hear with that nasal tone.

About the rest I'm saddened to inform you that the solos on this album are not from Tolkki nor the production or the writing.
Tolkki recorded a couple of solos and helped with hints, but the whole album is from Lonobile, a bland copy of Tolkki style.
Tolkki wasn't able to create anything and Frontiers decided to close as soon as possible their contract with a dead musician and, in fact, Tolkki has left Frontiers forever, blaming them for lack of support and the same old story.

That's it, now you know the truth.

Well, let's see what will come; hope Timo gets better and stop posting shit on his Facebook, he need to think to the tour or he'll be out forever.
At This point i don't give a flying F.ck about what u say if the album was written and played by someone else besides TT coulnd't care less. Tolkki is back is Active is Healthy is in good terms with the whole Stratovarius band he's going on tour overall he is Happy and that's what it matters if you don't like the album well Fuck you very much for the comments and move on mate :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, dude, calm down.

Nobody want to criticize Tolkki, I was only pointing out that Avalon III it's not his own work but a bland copypaste of his style.
I was criticizing Frontiers, not Tolkki.

That said, Tolkki isn't back and isn't going well at all, he is in his "good" phase of bipolar disorder, sooner or later he will be back in his maniac and depressed phase, it's a fact because this mental disease works like this, with up and down, it's a fact and you can learn something instead of bashing people not agreeing with you.

About Strato, they're in good terms with Tolkki, and I'm happy for Tolkki and the guys, but that's it. They're not pals or friends, their in good terms.
We will see what the future will be, maybe some shows together? Maybe an album? Maybe a collaboration? Dunno but I don't care, I'm happy like this, without gossip.

Now my opinion: you, fans, must stop throwing shit to everyone not euphoric for news like Tolkki back on social media (with a lot of cringeness), he is a musician, not an influencer, and I'm happy in him playing music (and he isn't able to play guitar, at the moment, he isn't practicing and you'll see on the Latin America tour).

Nuff said; learn to respect opinions.

Empathica1928
Sr. Member
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:46 pm

Good stuff. Thanks for the clarification, Pancio.

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by icecab21 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 pm

Are there different versions out there, I don’t really hear a completely off time and out of tune solo in give me hope , what I heard could hardly be called a solo and sounded more like just playing a lead melody line, and I thought godsend was a good ballad and enjoyed its melodies and harmonies

Sth2112
Jr. Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:32 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Sth2112 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:01 am

I think at least that Timo wrote the music and lyrics, there’s way too much keys, heroes and freedom in the lyrics to be written by someone else. And the album is a bit better than the last one I think

ZenithMC
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:20 am
Location: United States

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by ZenithMC » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:13 am

This is disappointing news if true. It's certainly not impossible to imitate Tolkki's compositional style, however.

AAAAAAAAAA
Sr. Member
Posts: 3261
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:40 am

I actually listened to that song "Give me Hope" and dear lord in heaven. Was position of vocalist given to the lowest bidder?

User avatar
Kmasters
Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:47 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Kmasters » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:50 am

Check this out guys TT rehearsal for tomorrow show

https://www.facebook.com/RockeroColombi ... 25087/?t=0

Raven
Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:32 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Raven » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Kmasters wrote:Check this out guys TT rehearsal for tomorrow show

https://www.facebook.com/RockeroColombi ... 25087/?t=0
Although he doesn't hit the notes 100% accurately he still looks and sounds way more sharper than I thought. This is a huge step forward from the so called shows few years ago in Spain and in Greece.

Pancio
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 am
Location: Reggio Emilia, Italy

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Pancio » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:47 pm

Way better than 2017 shows for sure, but everything without Livas is OK lol

Jokes apart, Tolkki's playing is slightly increased, at least he is "there" with his brain, but the shredder parts are mindless, dumb and rusty and he fail way too much on melodic parts (Black Diamond in particular).

Anyway I'm happy with him in a "better" shape; we will see.


AAAAAAAAAA
Sr. Member
Posts: 3261
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:44 pm

If they replace the guitarrista they might have themselves an average Stratovarius cover band. 8)

User avatar
robocop
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:12 am
Location: Erectionland
Contact:

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by robocop » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:47 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
If they replace the guitarrista they might have themselves an average Stratovarius cover band. 8)
:lol:
Rumor has it they recruited this cover band to cover for him when Tolkki’s back gives out.

User avatar
Kmasters
Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:47 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Kmasters » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:44 pm

Setlist of the tour and definitely not mad at it.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/timo-tol ... f537d.html

lucaf9397
Jr. Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by lucaf9397 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:59 pm

In one skype interview uploaded in youtube some months ago, TT told that he has written "half" of the songs in Avalon III. That youtube clip can be found in the timeline of TT in facebook if you have patience to scroll and watch everything he posted... he posted very much last summer.

Anyway, really glad to see he is definitely feeling better than 2 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxk2g__G8SQ

edit: I have to add, that Avalon II is really good album if you ignore the production. Play is as first album of the day, so you have nothing yet to compare the production. Then it sounds good. There are many nice songs and catchy guitar stuff.

lucaf9397
Jr. Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by lucaf9397 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:07 pm

Kmasters wrote:Setlist of the tour and definitely not mad at it.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/timo-tol ... f537d.html
They could have invite also current Stratovarius there, Matias could finally focus on his own songs instead of playing covers.

Ah, btw there are some fresh interview audio clips here:
https://www.futuro.cl/2019/08/timo-tolk ... -los-fans/

Pancio
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 am
Location: Reggio Emilia, Italy

Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by Pancio » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:34 pm

I do not agree with you on this one: Avalon II is pure shit, not only the production.

Bland songs, mostly a copy/paste of other artists, bad production, in every song there's this awful pentatonic scale with bending and vibrato and the fast runs are wooden as fuck with the same pattern, bad singing in half of the songs.

The best things on Avalon II are the artwork, riff from Neon Sirens and Simone Simons on High Above on Me (the "FOREVERMORE" part gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it and I give it to Tolkki, the guitar solo is not original but fits perfectly).

The worst are Fabio Lione and David DeFeis; Stargate Atlantis and Rise of the Fourth Reich have some of the worst studio performances ever recorded by pro musicians.


About Avalon III and interview: Tolkki states he composed half of the songs, sure, but only the draft/demo then rearranged and evolved by others in a very short time.
His playing and contribute to the album can clearly be heard in: Promises, Return to Eden, Hear my call, Now and Forever (only during the pre-solo, the rest is clearly Lehtiniemi), Godsend, Give me hope (the pseudo-Hands of Time melodic part, also completely dissonant) and Wasted Dreams (the guitar part is too low and bad integrated, so I belive it to be the demo solo).
The rest is not Tolkki, in every possible way, that's why songs like Guiding Star sounds like something from Vision Divine instead of Stratovarius.

The fact is I prefer Avalon III on Avalon II but the first one is better in every aspect.


About the tour: Setlist is good, the band is not bad and Tolkki is in a better shape than expected, but he needs time to practice, some parts sucks (for example Will the Sun Rise? Bach BWV 1058 and almost every melodic run).

Post Reply